• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing a M923

odelljw

What info is available about bobbing a M923a2, I am considering purchasing one, biggest concern is how to remove one of the rear axles... any info about that process? Thanks for any info...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In order to bob the truck you have to remove the complete walking beam suspension and use a set of front springs off a donor truck or fabricate a custom suspension. Air ride is good.

Most people shorten the frame if they are bobbing a regular cargo truck. If you are bobbing a tractor the frame is already shorter.

I have two sets of 5 ton front springs if anyone is interested.

dawico

In order to bob the truck you have to remove the complete walking beam suspension and use a set of front springs off a donor truck or fabricate a custom suspension. Air ride is good.

Most people shorten the frame if they are bobbing a regular cargo truck. If you are bobbing a tractor the frame is already shorter.

I have two sets of 5 ton front springs if anyone is interested.
This. Use a steering axle in the back too. That would be sweet.

odelljw

So Panzer so what I can see looks like you cut the spring suspension in half then built the air bag supports in the back,,, or did you make a 4 link setup?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
1 -- United States does not count as a location, so where are you. once we know that, someone close can talk to you, help you decide what you want and the build.

panzerwillie

It was for sale in a place here call Jack Lyons, which is mainly a drive train place, where i was picking up a Spicer 7231D auxiliary 3 speed box and was for sale on a pile of discount parts , kind of left over from old stock, it had a 7.00 inch inlet for the air intake pipe and look to big for the truck, took a chance buying it e, my buddy keith made it fit and on the truck does not look that big...

lindsey97

Freightliner FLD 120 or FLD112 rear air bag suspension. I own 2 dump trucks with this suspension setup and they ride a lot different than other trucks with spring suspension. And my 2 dump trucks ride smoother than some pickups.......

odelljw

Freightliner FLD 120 or FLD112 rear air bag suspension. I own 2 dump trucks with this suspension setup and they ride a lot different than other trucks with spring suspension. And my 2 dump trucks ride smoother than some pickups.......

Will have to look into that rear end...

lindsey97

Correct. At a big truck salvage. Buy a set of cutoff rear ends and you will have enough parts to bob 2 separate trucks. Airbags are approx. $150 each and there are different heights of airbags. One could also add an air dump valve switch in the cab, and have the ability to lower and raise your suspension height from the driver's seat. Also consider installing an air gauge in the cab to indicate the amount of air psi in your suspension. PSI amount will dictate ride quality characteristics.

You will need a (air)leveling valve, and panhard locator rods. These can be custom built to length by some truck shops, not bought new by the dealer. Or you can press in new bushings and fit them to your truck, then weld them back up to your specified length.

Use caution when buying freightliner cutoffs. The freightliner brackets that are bolted to the frame are aluminum. Do not get a torch or welder near them when removing them, and inspect them before paying for them.

I suspect freightliner has used this suspension back into the 1970's because my 2 trucks are the same and parts/bushings/airbags have been the same. Please do your own research as I personally have not bobbed a truck before, but I am certain that the suspension shown in the previous pics in this thread are the same as my 2 trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks