• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing an 818

hvann

Hey All

I have an 818 that I have put a deuce bed on and I’m thinking about bobbing it. I have and idea about using the existing rear suspension and I was wondering if anyone has done this before. I would also be interested in opinions on this idea.

I plan on removing the forward axel and sliding the entire suspension package forward until the rear axel is in the position that I want it in. I then plan on fabricating brackets to support and capture the end of the spring that would have been on top of the forward axel. I have attached some ruff drawings of this bracket.

I’m sure there will be some interference with the fuel tanks but I don’t think it will be anything that can’t be dealt with.

By using the original rear suspension you eliminate any weakness that comes from torgue and overall it is much stronger than using front springs.

What do you think?

Thanks
Van

Attachments

Jake0147

I think it could be made to work... I also think you'd be much happier with the results if you were to grab a rear leaf suspension from a bone yard civvy truck, which would make a much cleaner installation and I think would offer a much better ride quality, as well as addressing your concern as to the overall strength and/or durability of a front spring transplant. Variable rate leafs are pretty common, come in any variety of load capacities, are extremely simple, and ride about as well as you can expect from a heavy leaf suspension.

You asked for thoughts, that's all this is, please don't ask for facts to back it up. I have none.:-D

Attachments

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
John Appel and Ranchopper have done several of these. These are beautiful trucks. In fact I was going to do one until I sold my 818. Both will help with your questions. If i remember right there is no drilling on this one. Use existing bolt holes.

kochevnik

I was thinking about doing this with a Deuce. Anybody have opinions on doing this on the smaller truck ?

And another idea (for both Deuce and 5 ton) - how about taking the rear springs, flipping them upside down and taking a few leafs out ? Seems to me that would work as well - springs are springs - just need to fab up the brackets. Thoughts ?

hvann

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Ranchhopper, are you saying to use the rear assembly with front springs in place of the rear springs?

Thanks again
Van

chgofiveo

Hey HVANN, could you post some pics of your 5 Ton with the deuce bed... Thats my next project and Id like to see how its done...or at least the finished product

ctmustang

I think I get what hvann is wanting to do but my thought is what about the rotation of the spring package as it is originally intended todo. I would definately go with the front spring package for safety and reliability. just my 2 cents.

KsM715

I think he is saying he wants to remove the forward rear axle and somehow capture the spring pack so its locked in place and wont rotate up or down and thus letting the rear axle remain and ride under the spring like it does now.

hvann

Hey Jeff
You have it correct. I feel by using the existing rear suspension I will be getting a much stronger suspension. Not only will it truly be one half of the real load rating it will also have the linkage that will keep the axle from torquing or twisting under load because the torque arms will remain on the rear axle. I don't think there will be any issues with the height with this set up either.

There is an added benefit of being able to easily go back to a tandem axle set up if you should want too. You would have to make sure during the bobbing that you left enough clearance for the additional tires.

I can't really find a down side to this set up. I'm just curious if someone had made a set up like this and if so did they run into any unforeseen trouble.

Thanks
Van

mudguppy

essentially all you are doing is taking a trunion leaf pack and turning it into a quarter-eliptical leaf setup. this isn't any new tech, just a different style.

i think it would ride horribly - those springs are stiff. much of the suspension cycle you get out of a stock deuce is the pivoting of the intermediate and rear axles on the trunion - the springs do very little in terms of flex.

since the spring aren't going to flex well and you sure aren't going to get any articulation, i think it will be a bouncy and jarring ride without substantial weight in the bed. combined with a shortened wheelbase, then ...... well, i think i'd take the spring seat out ... and wear a helmet.

... and maybe wear some quarterback kidney pads.

if you really want to know what it will be like, chain up your intermediate axle and go for a ride. better yet, chain up the rear-most axle nice and tight against the frame - that would simulate your suspension and wheelbase. you could remove the inter-axle drive shaft if you wanted.

hey, i've never done this - i'm just phonin' it in at this point and could be completely wrong. try it; i'm serious - this will give you a good simulation!!!

hvann

Chgofiveo

Found the images. I purchased the truck out near SE MO and drove it back here to VA pulling my PU. It was a 1000 mile trip and when I got to VA I only had three bugs on the wind shield. They must have committed suicide because I know they could have flown faster than I could drive. :-D

Van

Attachments

chgofiveo

Chgofiveo

Found the images. I purchased the truck out near SE MO and drove it back here to VA pulling my PU. It was a 1000 mile trip and when I got to VA I only had three bugs on the wind shield. They must have committed suicide because I know they could have flown faster than I could drive. :-D

Van
Hey Vann
Thanks for the pics buddy...You did a really nice job with the truck. Ive been looking for a M818...GL had some in Ohio today, they just went off for more than I thought they were worth
Oh Well...There is ALWAYS tomarrow
Thanks again and GREAT truck...Leave it just how it is ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks