• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing Questions

Chinookpilot77

No, of course the 105 frame wont be as strong as the deuce frame.

I do understand your position on the oak spacer between the rails of the bed and the frame, but I would think that in order for the frame to twist, without the bed twisting at all, would have required every bolt on the bed to be the spring set up. (save number 4 which could be a solid bolt.) by bolting a 4ft section of the 105 frame under the deuce frame this would actually allow MORE flex than was previously attainable with the prior set up.

Now, if this is a good or bad thing with the 105 frame perhaps not being tempered is another debatable topic, but everyone seems concerned that the torsion would be limited when using a 4ft section of frame, and yet, many times I have seen the entire 105 frame on top of the deuce frame, and not utilizing the spring bolts....I would have to think that would limit torsion to a greater degree than what I am attempting. I think the forward mount of the rear spring will be forward of bolt 2, perhaps half way to bolt 1. The bed will begin almost at the axle as this is a bobbed shortbed quadcab project. the cabs will of course be full floating.

Again though, perhaps if my set up causes more flex it will only work against me further in regard to the 105 frame section.

I appreciate your input, thank you for taking the time to debate this with me. I still intend to drive on as planned, I will post pictures of the entire project soon.

pjpiche1

You are doing what!!! Are you seriously thinking of mounting your differential to a 5" C channel 105 frame under your duece frame rail. That is ludacris. That 105 frame is no way even close to being structurally sufficient enough to deal with all of the stress factors a 11,000 lb truck is going to put on it!
If you are going to modify your truck do it right! People like you that do these stupid half brain designs that cause accidents, sure doesn't help us out in convincing the government to allow us to continue purchasing these trucks. So, do it right and help preserve our hobby! Thanks

Chinookpilot77

That is hilarious to me considering that most guys are using lift blocks for the 4" lift and nearly ALL the people using 16-20's are using 8 inch sections of frame rail as lift.

Besides, the differential will not be mounted to the 105 frame, the springs will be mounted to the 105 frame, with will then in turn be gusseted to the deuce frame, and believe me, it will be sturdier than the original set up.

And by the way, please dont insult me or flame this thread again, its not appreciated. If you want to put in your .02, awesome, maybe we can all learn...but I wasn't born yesterday, and I firmly believe I've paid my dues and wont tolerate insults. I highly doubt that you'd say those same words to me in person, so please, do not let your cowardice show via name calling on the internet. Thank you.

Last edited:

chaplain

chinookpilot 77, your were right about the punchin below the belt, I just found it funny that the champion of motorvehicle rights and engineering design only has two posts on this forum, HuH. I wonder if he is a regular with a new signon, I am sure there is a story there somewhere

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are doing what!!! Are you seriously thinking of mounting your differential to a 5" C channel 105 frame under your duece frame rail. That is ludacris. That 105 frame is no way even close to being structurally sufficient enough to deal with all of the stress factors a 11,000 lb truck is going to put on it!
If you are going to modify your truck do it right! People like you that do these stupid half brain designs that cause accidents, sure doesn't help us out in convincing the government to allow us to continue purchasing these trucks. So, do it right and help preserve our hobby! Thanks
Why don't YOU "do it right" and learn how to express yourself? Stupid half brain posts don't help anyone, ever.

In addition - "You are doing what" should have one of these in there somewhere - ?

The truck he is working on is a D E U C E.

Ludacris a rapper (as per my kid - I wouldn't know) but "lu⋅di⋅crous " is a word.

Points being - don't trash talk just to trash talk - if you have a point, suggestion, etc make it.

If you do trash talk - have a clue as to what you're talking about.

1qwkgoat

I see you(warthog) are getting around to bobbing that deuce. If you need any help let me know.

As for my deuce, still waiting on my EUC

russ81

Just to weigh in my 2cents on this wonderfully insightfull and deeply intellectual conversation, I personally do not like the idea of double framing. I know quite a few people here have done this with great success, but my first thought was "If this is the way to go Uncle Sam would have already done it." I am also not a big fan of lift blocks. I know they get the job done, and there is nothing wrong with it, but I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. plan of action.

Now for a little of my own personal life story. I'm the proud owner of the "War Pig" bobbed duece. It has 16 x 20's, rear spring kit from the front of another duece, and 5.9L Cummins, and I see no NEED to lift at all. Now maybe my engine is lighter then a multi-fuel, I don't know, but I have pleanty of tire clearance.

For what it is worth, I am planning on lifting the truck a little, but I'm more concerned with ride quality. So, to combat both the issues at one time I am planning on having new leaf spring custom made. It will soften up the ride, give me a slightly higher stance, and better articulation. And, with the truck being bobbed, I have no intentions of carrying 10,000lb. of cargo, so I don't need the load carrying capacity.

So, to end my :soapbox::rant: I leave you all with this.....Lift blocks, double frames, yada, yada, yada.....all add up to more components, more engineering issues, more legal issues, more reliablity issues, issues, issues, issues..............?

We are putting thousands of $$$$$ in time, parts, labor, and material into these trucks to make them the most awsome trucks on and off the road, and we skimp on the springs.

Go figure.

Chinookpilot77

Well, I think that most folks are just looking for the least expensive way to do things...for me it was this option that I was referring to. The cost to benefit ratio might be a bit skewed for most people to get custom springs fabricated.

As to the double frame issue, we'll see how it pans out. I am still weighing other options, we'll see how it develops over time. I have to sit and wait and think about it either way, considering I am at a parts delay anyway. I'll keep you all posted.

I am posting pictures of my project today, will be entitled "Working on the deuce a good workout!"

Last edited:

pjpiche1

I owe everyone on here an apology. I was totally out of line on my previous reply. There is no excuse for what I did. I was very irritated before I even got on-line. I actually did write a level headed explanation as to why in my opinion I don't feel putting the 105 frame under the deuce's frame is such a good idea. When I went to post it the site had timed me out. My reply was erased when I logged back in. At that point some previous anger re-emerged. And I took it out on you. That was a very rare moment for me. I am very sorry. Please accept my apology. I can promise you that it will never happen again.

Unforgiven

I have the OPPOSITE question. Sometime this summer I want to start a crew cab. But instead of chopping the bed or bobbing the truck, I was wondering if anyone has ever moved the rear axles towards the rear 4 ft or so? And then bolted/welded an extension to the very REAR of the frame. That way the full 12' bed could still be used & there would be no cutting/welding on the truck frame between the front/rear leaf spring hangers, except at the very, very rear crossmember.

Keep in mind I am not saying that I am doing this. I am just curious if anyone has ever tried it. It would be nice to keep the entire 12' bed AND have a crew cab. Is the tempered steel Deuce frame weldable? I'm talking about the very rear, behind even a relocated spring hanger, to make a 4' extension, & possibly strong enough for a dump hinge as well.

blackrock

to bring this thread back i have a question on the rear leaf springs. If using deuce front springs for your bob project are you guys mounting the hangers the same distance apart as the front? i was thinking of mounting them closer together by .5-.75" due to the less weight in the back. im just not sure how much angle the hangers will be on with just the weight of the 105 bed. thanks kyle

I mounted mine the exact same distance apart as they were originally mounted on the front of the deuce. I figure if they handle X number of pounds (I think it was 6000 lbs on or off road according to an earlier reply) at that distance apart, then I can put that much weight on the rear end too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks