• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

body armor/run-flat tires?

kapnklug

I'm looking at ways to provide a little protection from small-arms fire for my M1009...I doubt the glass can ever be upgraded so perhaps this is a waste of time, but something (1/8" plate? kevlar mat?) inside the doors would be a start. Any ideas?
Also, some run-flat tires would be handy, just to get that big spare out of the back if nothing else. Anyone have any experience with these on a CUCV? I'm currently running 35" swamper SX's, which have a treaded sidewall, but wouldn't hold up to a bullet.

stampy

Here's a neat site
The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Personally there is something to be said about kevlar/steel/kevlar/steel combination or just 1/4" hardened plate steel. Bullet resistant glass is exceedingly expensive but you could build 1/2" lexan shields for the windows. Anything I built I would test first at my range with multiple ammo types though. I do agree that the big truck would be easier to up armor.

niferous

You would be better served buying an actual armored vehicle. They pop on Ebay from time to time. 1/8 in steel wouldn't stop hardly anything by the way. Maybe a 22 round.

Bobert

You could put a plate in the back of the seat. Maybe something along the bedsides. I wonder how bullet resistant the body is stock?

Zombies don't usually shoot back and the gangbangers don't have the "high powered" weapons like the news says. Plus they shoot sideways and probably hit low.

This is why I like this site. Nobody needs to ask, Why do you need am armored vehicle?, because the real question is Who doesn't need an armored vehicle?
:grd:

coolnick73

Here's a neat site
The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Personally there is something to be said about kevlar/steel/kevlar/steel combination or just 1/4" hardened plate steel. Bullet resistant glass is exceedingly expensive but you could build 1/2" lexan shields for the windows. Anything I built I would test first at my range with multiple ammo types though. I do agree that the big truck would be easier to up armor.
Another neat one that I have seen is The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth .

I don't consider a 9mm pistol "high powered" but it went through the driver's side door into the passenger compartment and lodged in the passenger side door. I think the Buick he used probably had more stuff (power windows and locks) to stop it than the typical CUCV.

If you did put some plate steel into the doors, would you have to beef up the door hinges?

Last edited:

eric_banks32

The stock body would be hard pressed to stop anything more than a flying rock. I think something similar to the ceramic/steel/ceramic balistic plates in body armor would be a good start for the doors and other vital areas. I used extra plates attached to the doors and under the seats of a humvee on my first deployment before they came out with the better armor for them. On the runflats. Id upgraded to some recentered H1 wheels and run their runflats.

3dubs

I am not sure many people have seen non-military armored vehicles. But just about anything can be armored. If they can do a car they can do the M1009 easy. The problem is that the windows either don't roll down at all or only a little bit. You will have to add air conditioning before the armor. You will also need to add more power under the hood. Remember this is the same engine that was in the HMMWV and when the up-armored them they needed the 6.5L Turbo to make it work. The good news is you can swap the engine in without much trouble...

If you want it done bring your wallet. But if you really want it done I may know some people. It really would not be hard at all. Just shoot me a PM if you want help.

Crash_AF

Just use phone books like Mythbusters did.... rofl

Seriously though, there are several methods of armoring a vehicle, depending on the level of protection you want and if you want 'homebrewed' or professional quality.

For runflats, I'd second the recentered HMMWV wheels and runflats. The 12 bolt radials with rubber runflats would be superior to the 8 bolt and magnesium ones.

Later,
Joe

usmcpatriot

EMP Attack

Before I do anything, I'd protect against an EMP attack...extra parts for the most vulnerable part of my M1008 would be the altenators...then an extra gas mask, besides the one in my BOV bag...extra fuel tanks, portable and installed.

Oldsouthernboy

A lot of police deptartments take the out dated vests and place then in the doors to act as armor, known to work, cheap and easy to do, just attach standing up and open so windows will still work.

5ton4ever

If you add a TON of armor to your m1009 it will be sitting in the dirt. Now is the time to build a deuce and a half, or 5 ton gun truck. It is easy to add 1/2 plate to the doors and around the engine compartment and run super singles with run flats and you are3 ready to rock! Also lots of room for ammo in the back.:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks