• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Body (Cap) Side Window Rubber Seal - M1009

DXTAC

Has anyone replaced the Body Side Window Rubber on their 1009 (the seal around the cap window)? My PS is leaking and was wondering how hard it is to replace??? LMC shows it as PN 36-6194 and 36-6195 I believe. I've never changed one out and ANY words of wisdom/encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Midnight Rider

I actually bought all of the seals for the topper awhile back from LMC thinking that was where my leaks were coming from. It looks like now it is actually the window seals in the topper that are leaking.

I was thinking I might just try caulking around the windows for now until I can get the seals.

caladin

let me know how the LMC parts are. I am in the middle of replacing most of my weather seals and noticed that its about 50/50 positive response for LMC parts.

85CUCVtom

I hate to bring back an old thread but I'm trying to get some feedback on this subject. I'm getting ready to replace the seals on the hardtop of my M1009 as they are leaking pretty bad. I've tried to find GM seals and they are discontinued. No luck on a certain auction site either.

So from your experience, which aftermarket seals are good and which ones are junk? I'm just looking for some advice based on your experience replacing them.

Thank you very much.

85CUCVtom

I have heard good and bad about the LMC seals. Some people said they fit great and the quality was good. Some said they didn't fit well.

Did you do it yourself or did a shop do it? I live across the street from a body shop with an owner who does a ton of side work on the weekends. He said he would do the labor for no more than $100 but I had to source the parts.

MT4222

I did it myself. I used a utility knife to cut out the old seal and then put in the new one i used black weatherstripping adhesieve.

panama

All the windows in my M1009 leak...including the side topper glass. I recently went to a glass shop (in Miami) and they told me they would not guarantee aftermarket window seals for a truck that old. What they WOULD guarantee was to carefully remove the strip or lacing in the middle of the window rubber to contract the seal, use black weather sealer around the window, press that middle part back in to expand the rubber, and I would be like new...never leak again. I am dubious so I have not pursued this. Ultimately, though, if it never leaks again and was a cheaper fix, I'd be good with it.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the windows in my M1009 leak...including the side topper glass. I recently went to a glass shop (in Miami) and they told me they would not guarantee aftermarket window seals for a truck that old. What they WOULD guarantee was to carefully remove the strip or lacing in the middle of the window rubber to contract the seal, use black weather sealer around the window, press that middle part back in to expand the rubber, and I would be like new...never leak again. I am dubious so I have not pursued this. Ultimately, though, if it never leaks again and was a cheaper fix, I'd be good with it.
I've seen the guys in my old company seal bus door windows like that, worked like a charm.

forest522

I've replaced all the rubber except for the side windows (on the top). I had Safelite do the windshield - new glass with an LMC seal kit. Everything else I did as a newby... we just cleared 7 days or more of fall rains... no leaks yet!!!

The vent windows were the absolute worst, i failed and found a good pair at the local parts yard off a Suburban.

85CUCVtom

I spoke with my friend at the body shop and that's exactly what he said I should try before spending money on new seals. Sounds like it should work. I'm fine with it, it's gonna be easier on my wallet.;-)

MT4222

Windshield

I've replaced all the rubber except for the side windows (on the top). I had Safelite do the windshield - new glass with an LMC seal kit. Everything else I did as a newby... we just cleared 7 days or more of fall rains... no leaks yet!!!

The vent windows were the absolute worst, i failed and found a good pair at the local parts yard off a Suburban.
How much did safelite charge to do your windshield? i need a new one.

85CUCVtom

From my personal experience Safelite is the most expensive in the business. I go through a local company who's regular prices are around 15-25% less than Safelite. I put a windshield in my old Jeep, my fiance's Neon and door glass in another car and every time they were less than Safelite.

85CUCVtom

LMC Truck Parts - Page 13

it's page 13, not page 12 in the LMC catalog - page 12 is the page for pre-73 Blazers with the full sized roof

page 13 is for the post-73 with the shorter roof like on the M1009
I saw them in the catalog. Thanks for the link though. How did they work out for you? Did they fit good? It seems that the most common complaint with aftermarket weather stripping is that they don't fit well.