• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Body Lift question.

LokelYokel

I’m new here. My 1023 is sitting in Yermo waiting on the EUC process.
Id like to put 40’s on it. I was told a three inch body lift will do the trick.

I just want to clarify: Ive seen guys on YouTube adding three inches to the gas tank straps. Could somebody confirm that they are putting either a three inch block on top of the factory block or installing 4 inch blocks?

oh, one more thing….in the video of mine running….I could see that the AC pump was kicking on and off excessively. Is that likely a new AC pump and attached electrically engaged pulley or something upstream in the wiring that commands that pump on and off?

thanks!
Justin in Vermont

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m new here. My 1023 is sitting in Yermo waiting on the EUC process.
Id like to put 40’s on it. I was told a three inch body lift will do the trick.

I just want to clarify: Ive seen guys on YouTube adding three inches to the gas tank straps. Could somebody confirm that they are putting either a three inch block on top of the factory block or installing 4 inch blocks?

oh, one more thing….in the video of mine running….I could see that the AC pump was kicking on and off excessively. Is that likely a new AC pump and attached electrically engaged pulley or something upstream in the wiring that commands that pump on and off?

thanks!
Justin in Vermont
Welcome to the outfit LokelYokel !

Not a lot of answers I can give you, but there are a crowd of people here who know more. One suggestion might be that the refrigerant charge is on the low edge of not enough. Cycling off and on is one possible symptom.

Be sure to snap and post some pix when your truck arrives!

Lothar

Welcome, my truck has 3 inch body lift with 38" tires and in rough terrain the rear tires will bottom out in the center of the fenders. The fronts also rub when crawling over terrain. I plan to get a slightly smaller diameter once these wear out. You will probably be fine on the street but I doubt you will be happy off road. Good luck.

*edit*
My truck is also loaded down with much more weight than most so there is that to take into consideration.

Last edited:

LokelYokel

Lothar, are your blocks a total of three inches tall? Or did you put three inch blocks on top of the factory blocks? Any problems with your fuel tank straps? Thanks for your comment.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also need to modify the steering shaft opening in the body, I did a 2" lift and this was necessary so for sure on a 3" lift, on the 2" lift body mount mods were also needed so the fuel tank fill pipe can clear

Agelai

Get some
I see predator has them, but they want $600 for a simple two inch lift.
There has to be other options out there.

LokelYokel

I bought coil springs from Mike Hoffman out of Illinois. That got me 1.5 inches in the front. No lift in the back except that they have about a 30% lighter spring capacity for a better ride. $ 1800.

Then yesterday I put a 2 inch body lift in. Got that from Mike Mikelli Body Lifts I think that might have run me about 120 with shipping.

The 2 inch body lift doesn’t create a lot of problems. I just want to be sure my shift rods are all readjusted properly so I’m sure the tranny is properly in gear after the lift. People are ruining transfer cases here and there….. I have to wonder if it’s because they aren’t fully engaged in the selected gear after the body lift. Something to think about.

SmartDrug

I bought coil springs from Mike Hoffman out of Illinois. That got me 1.5 inches in the front. No lift in the back except that they have about a 30% lighter spring capacity for a better ride. $ 1800.

Then yesterday I put a 2 inch body lift in. Got that from Mike Mikelli Body Lifts I think that might have run me about 120 with shipping.

The 2 inch body lift doesn’t create a lot of problems. I just want to be sure my shift rods are all readjusted properly so I’m sure the tranny is properly in gear after the lift. People are ruining transfer cases here and there….. I have to wonder if it’s because they aren’t fully engaged in the selected gear after the body lift. Something to think about.

Do you have before/after pictures? I'd like to visualize the difference.

LokelYokel

The difference is subtle. The height of the front wheel well opening was 41. Now it’s 44 and a half. I have some black rhino “Armory” wheels and some Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ’s coming that are 40 inches tall. That’s going to get me to where I think I’ll really like the stance of this vehicle.

LokelYokel

Hey, I just edited my previous post and put a before photo in there. Kind of hard to see the difference.

Last edited:

LokelYokel

You also need to modify the steering shaft opening in the body, I did a 2" lift and this was necessary so for sure on a 3" lift, on the 2" lift body mount mods were also needed so the fuel tank fill pipe can clear
mogman, I ended up going with a 2 inch Lift. I ordered a longer 2 inch diameter rubber fuel pipe. We’re there any other mods required to get the filler neck connected to the tank?

Also, did you do anything with your shift rods? I found the adjustment procedure in the TM for both the tranny and transfer case, but was curious if you thought the shifter extensions that rubber duck sells were necessary? I could make my own extensions. Rhose things concern me slightly because I figure They increase the length of the “throw” when you go to shift. So I’m thinking a two inch lift might only require an inch of extension. Maybe even less? Any thoughts? Either way I’ll do the shift rod adjustment.

Thanks for any input you (or anybody else) may have!

Justin

LokelYokel

It’ll be a week or two, but Custom Offsets is supposedly putting together a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTX tires 40 14.5 R20 with a set of Black Rhino “Armory” wheels.
I figured on spending some money on this project. I am.

Just hope I can afford to keep it when I’m done.

Ill get back to you when I get those on. Got a leaky front dif to deal with in the meanwhile.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mogman, I ended up going with a 2 inch Lift. I ordered a longer 2 inch diameter rubber fuel pipe. We’re there any other mods required to get the filler neck connected to the tank?

Also, did you do anything with your shift rods? I found the adjustment procedure in the TM for both the tranny and transfer case, but was curious if you thought the shifter extensions that rubber duck sells were necessary? I could make my own extensions. Rhose things concern me slightly because I figure They increase the length of the “throw” when you go to shift. So I’m thinking a two inch lift might only require an inch of extension. Maybe even less? Any thoughts? Either way I’ll do the shift rod adjustment.

Thanks for any input you (or anybody else) may have!

Justin
The problem with the fuel pipe is the body mount will be in the way, I will post a picture of what I had to do to make it fit, you also have to drop the fuel tank 2",, I used 2" square tubing for the spacers and cut and extended the straps and used longer bolts.
I cannot speak on the shifter extensions as I was installing a Duramax so all the shift stuff had to be custom made.
IMG_20201205_133203836.jpg
IMG_20201205_133246421.jpg
You can see how I trimmed back the body mount to clear the fill pipe
IMG_20210108_113936499.jpg
IMG_20210108_113942435.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks