• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boiled joints a la Bjorn

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a short test drive the other day to find out how the bogies behaved on the 8x8, I have discovered that the "sealed for life" torque rod bushings are frozen, just like the steering ball joints were (also "sealed for life").

The steering joints, were cooked in oil for 4 hours and loosened up. The procedure worked well and the steering ball joints are still perfect after two years.

The bushing end of the first torque rod wouldn't turn even at 100 ft-lb, so I decided to try the cooking procedure on it earlier today and it worked great, the torque required to turn the stud in the socket/bushing went from over 100 to about 10 ft-lb.
I heat the joint in hydraulic oil at 250°F for 4 hours. The lowered viscosity of the oil and the heat does the job.

There are six torque rods on each bogie and the total force resisting proper movement of the suspension was well over 600 ft-lb.

It'll be a few days before all torque rods are treated, but I'm hopeful that the wheels will follow the terrain a lot better than before. The shocks were removed for some improvement, but it wasn't enough....

Attachments

Jones

Bjorn, You're not reading the fine print...
"Sealed for Life" means when the seal breaks and the part dies, it's life is over--
and so is the warranty.
If parts weren't designed to break, how would they ever get to sell you new ones?

We need parts that carry a warranty like; "Guaranteed-- not just for life, but forever".

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work! The truck looks lot better than when I first seen it.
Slowly but surely Patrick. First noticed that the torque rods were binding when driving over this little hill after taken the shocks off, which were my first suspects.

Got the backup light from Austin Weber, so who knows, HMMWV, FMTV or?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks