• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolster Trailer Recover & Use

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late last winter, I won a bolster trailer at Elmendorf/Richardson. The Recovery was about standard. It was 0F in early March, one axle didn't have brakes, the lights worked, three tires were very low, and two were off the rims. I was able to re-seat the two with starting fluid and aired them with a hose from the truck. I still used my light bar, in conjunction with the bolsters lights, as my light bar has clearance lights. I had to go through a scale - no hassle. The trip home was boringly, uneventful, just the way I like them. Medusa ran perfect & the new fuel heater was a dream, as I hit some -20F crossing the Alaska Range. The round trip was right on 800 miles.

Once home, I re-did the brakes & master cylinders. New wires, air lines and new cannon plug on the rear of the tongue. I fashioned mud flaps and put on some clearance lights, as that stuff is required here.

My first job for it was a couple of weeks ago. I needed some boards (some as long as 20'), from Fairbanks. With the tongue extended, it made a nice load. It pulled like a dream. The tires had been holding air, but I watched them close, and still didn't trust them, knowing some of their history. On the way home, I had to air one twice & finally changed it for the spare, as I didn't want to chance ruining it. Later, I found a nail like hole in it that I was able to fix with a tire plug. Otherwise the trip was un-eventfull, and Medusa was perfect. She always draws attention and comments

Attachments

jbingvtx

That is a pile of lumber!! I believe that is the only time I've seen someone use the bolster trailer as it was intended, most folks have repurposed them to a new task. Great pics!