• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolster trailer recovery

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wednesday was the day I had arranged to pick up the bolster trailer I had won from GL a few weeks ago.
The adventure started Tuesday night. After spending the better part of the day at the VA hospital I was too keyed up to sleep so I left for Livina, Tenn. about 11 PM.
The deuce performed flawlessly on the trip up, running a mixture of UMO and gasoline.
It was about a 280 mile trip and I made it to a truck stop near the pickup point about 5:45 AM. I treated the deuce to a tank full of real diesel and caught a short nap.
About 7 AM I headed over to the site about 20 miles distant. I missed a turn and went on a short detour but was rescued by one of the National Guard guys that worked there.
I met up with Mike, the GL rep, and we headed over to the storage yard. We found my trailer and checked it over. I had known it had a flat and came prepared with all the implements of destruction needed to change it.
Mike picked it up with a forklift and I put a jack stand under the axle. In short order the spare was in place and I pulled it over the Guard repair facility and borrowed their air hose to make sure all the tires were at the right pressure.
Total time on site was about an hour and a half. Mike was a pleasure to work with, helpful and professional.
The site was also user friendly. No guard on the gate and the guys there were friendly and helpful.
I headed back home and made good time. The truck was still running great despite the 4000 pound trailer she was pulling. I took the scenic route a lot but when I was on the divided four-lane I used the “redneck cruise control” and held about 50 MPH to save fuel.
The only incident worthy of mention was when I was going through a small town in Alabama. There were only three traffic lights and I was pacing them trying to catch them green. One and two went well but the third one turned yellow. I was still a distance back so I slowed down and waited for it to change, the right lane was clear and a car was in the left so it looked like I had it made. At the last minute a silver Beamer convertible with the top down (yes, in Alabama you can do that in December) and a blond driving whipped by me an jumped over in front of me. She stood on the brakes and stopped at the light just as it changed to green.
Did I mention she was taking on the cell phone (headset) and putting on her makeup?
The rearview mirror was turned to the “make applying position” so I guess she had no idea that about twenty thousand pounds of green iron was approaching her hinny.
The green light did not come to her attention until a long blast from the deuces horn got her motivated. It also caused a massive makeup malfunction when she ate about half of the lipstick she was applying. She looked like Bozo the Clown in the rearview.
The guy in the right lane had been ogling her (also blocking traffic but for a good reason) and he was laughing so hard when he pulled away his cap flew off.
She laid about twenty feet of rubber as she took off and rendered me the single digit salute but it was clear that the victory was mine.
The rest of the trip was uneventful. I stopped in Gadsden and showed FreightTrain my new prize.
I made it home about 4 O’clock, put the tools away and parked the deuce and trailer in the back yard.
The trailer is a pretty cool piece of equipment, it has a beam that unlatches and stretches out so you can haul long poles or metal beams. Watch for pics soon.

Stan

May the force be with you young Jedi. Nothing quite like driving a real truck. If I knew how I'd do that thing about pictures, but I'm sure someone will handle that.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Re: RE: Bolster trailer recovery

Stan said:
May the force be with you young Jedi. Nothing quite like driving a real truck. If I knew how I'd do that thing about pictures, but I'm sure someone will handle that.

here you go nopics

kcimb

RE: Re: RE: Bolster trailer recovery

lol... I've had a few stories like that driving my company box truck...30 feet of white aluminum box fury

jeli

My Dad would always tell his story of a panic stop in Germany with a deuce w/w. Comrade stopped short in a VW bug and by the time he stopped he couldn't see the top of the bug. Didn't hit but must have been damn close.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

So let me get this straight! I've been begging for someone to take a looksee at my trucks there and maybe get me some pics and you shoot on over there and didn't say a thing?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Kenny,

Sorry I didn't see the posts. I have been wrapped around the axle with the VA, working a split shift and trying to figure out how to get a 5 ton and four dueces home.
If I can help otherwise give me a holler.

FreightTrain

Banned
hee hee hee,If you think your arse is numb now,wait till next weekend!I got a fealing I will take the lead since I will have a GPS turn by Turn direction thingy in my rig.....hee hee hee,Unless we are on fire or out of fuel....I don't forsee many stops....

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My Bolster M969

Nice find I hope the things going on at the VA are not too serious. I don't know what you got yours for but here is the one I got for under $200.00.

I have had it loaded with five huge oak logs that we used the beams laying in the deck as a ramp for and pulled the logs up with the duece winch. I was wishing I had installed a front pintle hitch for that but I just wound up chaining the trailer tongue to to the front bumper and hauled them up one on top of another.

The verticle stantions are cool too because they clamp werever you want them to be. I like the super single tires too it is a great trailer.

Sorry no pictures of the logging trip from pick up to sawyer but it is a very useful tag along.

The wood fenders were something I fabbed on spot at the inspection station as the trailers like this and the M332 need fenders and mudflaps in Maryland

Attachments

Flea

RE: My Bolster M969

How did the deuce do with the trailer? I hear they're kinda heavy and were originally issued with a 5-ton. I'd imagine empty, it shouldn't be too much heavier than a 105 or a 332.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Flea,

The duece pulled it like it wasn't even there. The slowest I dropped down to was 35MPH going up a real big hill.
It is hard to see it in the rearviews with the frame shortened up but once I adjusted to it I had no problems.
I bought it to pull the shelter on but with trailer and shelter it would be about 6000 pounds and thats too much for a bobtailed M52 or an unloaded duece.
I'll probably sell it to one of the local log haulers.
It's attracted some attention sitting out in front of the garden.

Flea

Why too much for an unloaded Deuce? Gets a tendency to push the truck around or what?

Great looking trailer; I was looking to get one from that auction, but I didn't have a guaranteed truck at that time and was unsure when I would get one. They went CHEAP!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks