• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolts all over my body...

redline300

I found out what the bolts were for. It is the arctic weather package. What it was is a big blanket type thing that laid over the cap and had a heather under it which ran off of diesel fuel. The swing fire heater is what was in there.

onegmjack

I agree if the hardware is part of the Arctic cover,blanket,or Kit,would be better to try to find the kit.Could come in handy in your part of the country.Dwight

redline300

So I took the taillight off to see what was on the back of the washers...it is a bolt that has been tacked to the washer. Some of them I managed to get out through the hole and some have fallen inside. I then welded the holes....now keep in mind I have never even touched a welder before so don't make fun of how crappy the job looks! I enjoyed it and I will get better when I have someone with better skills around me to instruct the proper technique....

Attachments

Last edited:

onegmjack

Looks great,most of the time even a expert welder will burn up the metal,or make the hole bigger.Keep up the good work you will have more work than you can do.

epitts

Looks good to me, I kept making the whole bigger. I had three holes that I used a ten penny nail head to fill the whole. Just ground the nail head to fit the hole and weld around cut off and grind down. :idea:

jamesfrom180

Nail trick is good advise. Not sure I would use the wood chisel though. Prepping a larger area of paint (stripping it down to metal will save on some slag. Looks like you had good feed speed. Your temp looked pretty good too. Da*n nice job for a first attempt. Weldable primer is your friend in some of those areas. 2cents

hotdogs151a2

Ms. Redline300:
I have taught welding. I know welders that can't weld auto bodies that well. Keep up the good work. Remember the only way to prevent weld spatter burns is to not weld, now you are a welder. I did see a child in the background while you were welding. Kids don't know not to look at the welding light. Watch out for those little eyes.
Thanks, Hotdog

redline300

Ms. Redline300:
I have taught welding. I know welders that can't weld auto bodies that well. Keep up the good work. Remember the only way to prevent weld spatter burns is to not weld, now you are a welder. I did see a child in the background while you were welding. Kids don't know not to look at the welding light. Watch out for those little eyes.
Thanks, Hotdog

Thank you! My daughter does know not to look while I am welding....She also was inside the house for the majrity of it.

jamesfrom180

I can't quite tell but I would recommend using a flap style disk on your grinding. Welcome to welding 101, I will not related some of the stories about splater and flash burns in mixed company. Lets just say yours look painful enough, remember to button up your shirt, long sleves, and gauntlets. Or live with the little flecks of metal.

Also remember to tell your doctor that you have welded and or ground metal if you go in for a radiological test like MRI or CAT. Both my arms and legs show shadows from some slag in my skin.

Keep up the good work looks like the project is going to be great.