• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bombardier MLVW , anyone know these beasts ?

rustystud

I have my US origin M35A2 registered in Ontario. Ontario is similar to other heavy-collector-vehicle-unfriendly states in the US in that it sees your M109A4 as a vehicle that
- has never before been registered in Canada, therefore needs to be emissions tested to the current standards (no allowance for being XX years old). My way out was that it is a multifuel (which does not exist as a category; it is either Gas or Diesel). I registered as Gas so did not have to pass the Diesel particulate emissions test (which this engine has a snowball in hell's chance of passing).
- weighs over 4500kg, therefore is a commercial vehicle and the MOT will therefore push you into the commercial vehicle operator category, if you let them. They will very much want for you to become a CVOR registered operator. Annual safety, log book, the whole nine yards. It makes zero sense for a personally owned historic vehicle but the "historic" category does not exist in Ontario for vehicles over 4500 kg.

Your advantage with an M109A4 is that you can go the RV route (and most likely you should)! Register as an RV and save 90% of the stupidity.
Here I thought Washington State had some stupid laws ! What a royal pain in the ass !!!
I feel your pain Cattlerepairman !

davidb56

My m35a2c is registered as a pick up. It was easier for them on the paper work, and I only haul firewood in it. But they really could care less. In fact, the SD has one too. Mine's better.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mentioned that before....scrapyard near me has two MLVW without beds sitting around. They have been picked at but are substantially complete. The hoarder in me would have dragged them home already but the wife suggested I would then have to live in them and they are simply not that roomy. Would be nice to get them running again, though.

Attachments

rustystud

My m35a2c is registered as a pick up. It was easier for them on the paper work, and I only haul firewood in it. But they really could care less. In fact, the SD has one too. Mine's better.
I like that ! Maybe that is what I should tell them here. It's just a big pick-up truck ! A really big pick-up truck !

davidb56

I like that ! Maybe that is what I should tell them here. It's just a big pick-up truck ! A really big pick-up truck !
Good luck with that....the difference between WA and ID is that WA loves "laws and control" over its "subjects", so they will take the time to scrutinize your Truck. Idaho doesn't like "over reaching laws" and the people (most) working at the various agencies dont think its critical to make life harder on you unless there is a REAL safety issue, not a politician manufactured one.

rustystud

Good luck with that....the difference between WA and ID is that WA loves "laws and control" over its "subjects", so they will take the time to scrutinize your Truck. Idaho doesn't like "over reaching laws" and the people (most) working at the various agencies dont think its critical to make life harder on you unless there is a REAL safety issue, not a politician manufactured one.
Sad to say your right about that ! My best friend is planning to move to either Idaho or Montana. He say he cannot take all the crap laws and taxes from Seattle and this state in general. I totally agree but I have so much invested into this place (blood, sweat, and tears) that I just cannot leave it. I was born in this area. My father and I cleared this land and built the main house here, plus the generator building. My son was born and raised here. Just to many memories to just "pull up stakes" and go.
Though lately the amount of traffic and the attitude of these idiot Liberals has really driven me almost crazy !

Jericho

I see a common thread in the increased changes in Law and the further restriction of rights, Perhaps its time for a state free of this influence, But I fear even the enormously individual rights state of New Hampshire is under assault from our liberal neighbors as well

DREAD KT

Many thanks for the advice! Yes, the CAT 3116 is multi-fuel but would certainly try to register it as an RV, although there are different definitions that may require it to have full plumbing and black water tanks, etc. I use a composting WC to avoid black water and a DIY filter system to avoid gray water as well. If that doesn't work will try as a gasoline engine (gas + oil that is). Not sure why historical military vehicle clubs can't petition the Provinces/Sates to cut us some slack. North Carolina doesn't seem to have one that I am aware of despite having the largest military base in the Country. At least registration wasn't too bad as a overweight vehicle like a pickup. No emissions test, just annual safety.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks