• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bondo thickness

ryan77

I know this will create buzz but what is the thickest you can put bondo on without a promblem?

mikelee

Filler should be 1/8-3/16 if any deeper need to pull dent do not use filler on holes it will wick water. fiberglass is more suitable for holes hope this helps..2cents

ryan77

My m1009 has bondo a 1 1/2 thick on the roof and rocker, i cut the rocker out and welded in a replacement one from lmc, the roof is going to be a joke it has bondo to the windshield seal, i dont know what to do about that,aua glad i bought a rust free southern truck.

bratpackdad

I wouldn't use glass on a deuce. You can buy a new top or weld a small replacement patch if its a hole. Bondo is no going to look right on the very flat surfaces of the deuce. But I guess it really depends on what you are going to do with it, and if looks matter over function. 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother has a m1008 with some roof rust issues. We used some stuff called Dura Glass (recommended by a body man) and it's holding up great so far.

stumps

The problem with thick bondo patches is it doesn't flex the same as the sheet metal, and seems to show through after time. 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch is about the max.

-Chuck

Tanner

'Bondo' by design is to be used in thicknesses no greater than 1/8"; any thicker than this & you run a risk of cracking under the paint. It was originally designed to replace lead fillers used in bodywork.

'Tanner'

transman

What part of Ill ya from I've got a trucker friend who travels between Pa. and Southbend. I'll donate a "piller cut" roof panel rather than see that much bondo used !

ryan77

the army put 1 1/2 on the roof and the worst paint job ive seen in my life but by next week it will be ready to shoot.

derby

You could smoothe a thin layer of JB weld over it. When i was a kid and did not know better, I would use as much as it took to fill the hole! It always cracked and i would just put more in. Up here in the rust belt we have Stock in Bondo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks