• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bonedoc's M35A2 modification thread

bonedoc

it looks like the picture of your new tranny is a 3053. Is that any different than the 3053a that most deuces have?
did some looking around and no one seems to have a consensus of the difference. Most have said they no difference when swapping one to the other in their trucks. It is the same case but not sure what makes a 3053 different from a 3053a or 3053b.

Beautiful truck!
I wish I could start on painting mine, but for now I'm obsessed with drying up the various leaks.
Your thread definitely gives me motivation and inspiration.

bonedoc

Beautiful truck!
I wish I could start on painting mine, but for now I'm obsessed with drying up the various leaks.
Your thread definitely gives me motivation and inspiration.
Thank you, has been a lot of work but well worth it. A huge learning curve as well. I too, am trying to dry up certain leaks. Sometimes it feels as you get one done...I either find another...or something else that should be repaired. My next one is on the injection pump. There is a small line next to where the line from the primary filter enters the injection pump. It appears small, maybe 11-12" long. Don't like how it looks, need to remove it and get a new one made up. This summer will be the big ones, new seals in the transfer case, new trans., and new oil pan gaskets.

Last edited:

bonedoc

Hey tell me more about the possible cracked and repaired case on the trans. The pics didn't show it real well.

It always looked kind of banged up in the area but then I noticed what appears to be edges starting to separate from the trans housing. Sorry the pictures aren't the best, I'll try to get better ones. If you look just below the drain plug, both to the left and right, especially in the 3rd picture. You can see the edges of what appears to be a case repair. Now it may not be seeping from the repair and it may be solid. The oil soak could be from the output seal above it. I just figured, why take the chance. Then when I found the new trans...not just a rebuildable one, I figured even better. I had a few people who are welders take a glance and they all said it was definitely repaired at one time.

Attachments

bonedoc

Hey everyone, quick question. When I drained my coolant system down I put in a new temp sensor since I had it. Got the truck all refilled and running. Was out driving today and noticed that the temp reads a little higher than usual. It was almost to the 190 mark, maybe just shy, like 188 range. Should I be concerned or is it likely just the way my new sensor is? Is that likely to be a problem? It stayed there and never went higher even with hill climbs and under load.

Thank you, has been a lot of work but well worth it. A huge learning curve as well. I too, am trying to dry up certain leaks. Sometimes it feels as you get one done...I either find another...or something else that should be repaired. My next one is on the injection pump. There is a small line next to where the line from the primary filter enters the injection pump. It appears small, maybe 11-12" long. Don't like how it looks, need to remove it and get a new one made up. This summer will be the big ones, new seals in the transfer case, new trans., and new oil pan gaskets.
I'm only up to about page 12 on the thread so I'm not 100% up to speed yet. You're replacing engine compartment tubing with air brake hose and it looks really nice lol. Up till then you'd just mostly sanded and painted.

That short hose you speak of is an oil hose I believe. Just tightened the same one on my rig. With any luck, one more leak off the list!

I had finally gotten my heater box cut down and installed a month or more ago. Haven't hooked it up yet or finished the interior hookup. The intake hose and the hose between heater and firewall elbow are installed. Hoping to get all my cooling system fitting installed tomorrow. Then will have my block heater, heater lines, and coolant filter lines installed.
My heater is mounted much farther forward, and is enough of a pain in the rear that I considered taking it out entirely.

But after seeing how you did yours, I think I will just move it. I really like how yours came out. I need to replace the intake air hose anyway.

I've made quite a few blood offerings on that mount trying to get to the hydraulic head and fuel shutoff.

bonedoc

My heater is mounted much farther forward, and is enough of a pain in the rear that I considered taking it out entirely.

But after seeing how you did yours, I think I will just move it. I really like how yours came out. I need to replace the intake air hose anyway.

I've made quite a few blood offerings on that mount trying to get to the hydraulic head and fuel shutoff.
Thanks, I'm happy with how mine came out. To me it gives plenty of clearance for most maintenance if need be, I can remove it in about 10 minutes. I thought about mounting it in the cab as some have done. There are others that mounted theirs directly to the firewall. If you search a thread titled " cab heater modifications " you will see how some others mounted theirs. It gives you probably another 6-8" of clearance.

Another Ahab

:funny:

bonedoc

Finally got my heater box hooked up to my cooling system so now atleast the cooling system work is done. Still need to finish hooking up the heater kit in the cab, diverter box, defroster ducts, etc. Made up some simple brackets and used rubber lined straps to secure the heater hoses in place and keep them out of harms way.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Finally got my heater box hooked up to my cooling system so now atleast the cooling system work is done. Still need to finish hooking up the heater kit in the cab, diverter box, defroster ducts, etc. Made up some simple brackets and used rubber lined straps to secure the heater hoses in place and keep them out of harms way.
Golly, everything looks so clean under the hood. There is not a single detectable leak of any fluid anywhere.

Did you clean it all up for the build, or is that SOP at bonedoc Ranch!?

bonedoc

Golly, everything looks so clean under the hood. There is not a single detectable leak of any fluid anywhere.

Did you clean it all up for the build, or is that SOP at bonedoc Ranch!?
That is how we roll here. I like to try and keep things clean...actually it may be a little ocd but it works for me. The next thing is to replace the oil lines on injection pump and remove compressor and compressor mount because the mount gasket is seeping pretty good.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

That is how we roll here. I like to try and keep things ckean...actually it may be a little ocd but it works for me. The next thing is to replace the oil lines on injection pump and remove compressor and compressor mount because the mount gasket is seeping pretty good.
"Can Do"; it sure looks sharp and all squared away!
I'm liking it. Cheers :beer: