• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boom Roller adjustment on m816.

madsam

I have been trying to adjust the boom roller. Actually I am trying to put the rear bottom one on, but I can't get it to adjust up or down. The manuals say to remove the 4 bolts on both sides of the roller and turn the outer cap counter clockwise. Well, after massive amounts of beating and almost a can of wd40, I cant move the caps. I even tried a steel chisel to separate it.

Has anyone ever adjusted these rolars on an m816?

No.2Diesel

Is the boom's movement real sloppy in there?

Maybe the weight of the extendable boom pushing down on the roller is preventing the desired adjustment. Have you tried lowering the entire boom and fully extending it so that the tip of the extended boom rests on something solid? It might take the weight off that roller so that you can adjust it.

Just a guess. I hope it works out for you. I'd love to see some shots of the wrecker in the mountain landscape.

madsam

The boom is not sloppy. My wrecker was missing the lower roller, so I got a new-used one and have it almost in, but I can't get all the bolts in because the boom wont go up enough. I am using a ball-joint fork to lift the boom, but it stops, so I was figuring that the one of the rollers is adjusted to tight. But I can't get either one to move. :(

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Sam
I'm not versed in your Wrecker, but more in other equipment. I'd look for another problem. Can you drop that whole roller assembly? Check it to make sure its all right and sizes haven't changed? Is there curd/debris inside the main tube, preventing the extension from raising? Is the extension tube ORIGINAL? Was it swapped earlier. Can you trade rollers, from top to bottom? They the same size?

Just some questions , that I can think of. A different view!. Maybe your in for some "project creep"?

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how are you coming with the other stuff brian, did you get your pump back in to run the crane. tell us where your at with the repairs Tim

Gamagoat1

After all the bolts are removed the entire cap and shaft rotate, that's the rub. It's a very close tolerance fit into the housing. I hade to make a long wrench that fit in two of the apposing bolt holes. after heating and soaking in regular break fluid for a week it turned.
When you get it free take it out and clean and grease the fit which should help next time. Do the same to all rollers, LOL.

Hey we're just 60 miles apart, we'll have to visit some time.

madsam

status.

Iif I get it out... Everything is real rusty.. here is a pic of what I am running into. The boom is up as far as it will go. My assumption is that it is hitting the top roller.

timmetrucks - I have not work much on getting the boom functioning yet. I have been concentrating on cold weather and ice issues. This is the first thing I am working on the boom for. I think I have all the parts, but have had no time to put them on..

I do have a full set of chains and a block heater. I had to cover most of the radiator to get the engine even come off cold. Now I have heat in the cab. Covered some of the holes in the floor. Painted the rust spots, except for the bumper. (I like the intimidating bent rusty looking bumper. I finally got my title paperwork from GL so I can register th thing now and maybe get my new tires on soon. So getting there, but the cold, and work have slowed me down on things.

Attachments

madsam

RE: status.

You know, you could make a wrench for these if you had a shaft the same size with a key in it. .. I assume the shaft is off set, or it would not help to turn it.

madsam

RE: status.

OOoo.. The page just changed.. Nice looking.

Now it changed back.. Some one is playing with the site.

madsam

I will try this weekend. I had tried a little to loosen it with a metal chisel, but I did not want to damage it. But now that I know for sure it comes off, I will be more aggressive. Get the BFH out and smack it. :x

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That shaft is "off-center" in the four bolt flange, that you removed the bolts from. You can see that in the picture. Rotate the four bolt flange, till the 3 oclock bolt hole, is at about 12 oclock. If you need a wrench to turn it, make one from something like 1/2" x 2", then drill two holes, the size of those blots, on center, at one end your bar stock/wrench. Then take two grade 8 bolt stubs, leaving about 3/4" stick-out on one side of your bar/stock wrench - weld the bolt stubs to the back side of your wrench. I'd try my 36" pipe wrench first, on that flange.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That shaft is "off-center" in the four bolt flange, that you removed the bolts from. You can see that in the picture. Rotate the four bolt flange, till the 3 oclock bolt hole, is at about 12 oclock. If you need a wrench to turn it, make one from something like 1/2" x 2", then drill two holes, the size of those blots, on center, at one end your bar stock/wrench. Then take two grade 8 bolt stubs, leaving about 3/4" stick-out on one side of your bar/stock wrench - weld the bolt stubs to the back side of your wrench. I'd try my 36" pipe wrench first, on that flange.

Monty

Can you loosen the upper roller and lift the boom up a few inches and crib it up, then bring the boom down slowly to take the weight off the bottom rolllerand try to insert the bolts.
Having never worked on one it may sound good but I'm not sure how fesible it is.

Chad

madsam

Got back to this.

OK, I finally got back to this. I needed to adjust at least one of these rollers. I had banged on them a little now and then.I soaked them with WD40 and brake fluid. This weekend I attacked on of them for real. MAN!!! that was a pain. I have never seen anything that was that hard to brake free that was not welded. The cap had some tin washers between the cap and the roller assembly. I believe they made the rust worse as it created a battery, dissimilar mettles, with rain and or salt watter. After beating with both cold chisel and air chisel, It finally started budging. Then I had to tear out the washers. Here is some pics. Notice the 1/2 inch of mettle cap that bent.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks