• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bosch - Duraterm glow plugs question

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I have some questions.
I have read here on SS that if you use
Bosch - Duraterm glow plugs.

Then you cannot use the slave cable connection in the grill of most CUCV's.

Is that true?

And if so, why?

Also, if I use the recommended glow plugs from the wiki thing,
(AC 60G glowplugs, I believe...)
Do they need to be gapped or anything before being put in,

or can they be put in right out of the box?

Good day,

cpf240

There is no issue that I am aware of that would prevent the use of the slave cable to jump start a CUCV just because it has Bosch glow plugs in it. What has been mentioned is that if you have done the 12v bypass of the 24v resistor pack for the glow plugs, the slave jump start may not be as effective, since the glow plugs will not be supplied from the slave connection as they normally would.

Glow plugs do not need to be gapped, there is no gap to adjust. They are just heating elements, not spark sources.

The one thing you will probably have to do is replace the glow plug terminal ends on the harness, as most of the replacement glow plugs have a slightly larger terminal on them.

CycleJay

Hello CPF,

Thank you for the answer to my question, and the information.
Are there any glow plugs I could use, that does not have the larger terminal?

ryan77

Just grind the large terminal down or put new ends on it! Its so easy even a cave man can do it!!

cpf240

Are there any glow plugs I could use, that does not have the larger terminal?
Mine had the AC13g glow plugs in it, and they used the stock, smaller, connector. I believe the Wellman glow plugs also have the smaller terminal. Many people just file down the connector on the new plugs and use the existing connectors.

With some of the stories I've read here about swollen and / or broken glow plugs, I chose to use only the AC60g or Bosch glow plugs. Luckily for me, all my AC13g plugs came out without a problem, even the two I knew were bad.

I bought my Bosch plugs from CUCV Electric, with the new terminal ends. Other than finding the correct crimp tool, it wasn't too bad changing them out. I did find it much easier to work on the passenger side after pulling the batteries and rear battery tray.

tbearatkin

The only issue I had in taking out my glow plugs was the last one on the passenger side at the firewall. It was slightly swollen. I disconnected the power from the relay and my pink wire from the IP and just bumped my starter until the pressure blew it out of the hole. Not sure if this has any side effects but it beat have a broken plug that would have required more work to remove.

oddfire

My 1008 had the AC13g's. All but hole #3 plug were swolen. And 5 were soo bad they wouldn't come out. Had to break them off. All my mechanic friends said i would have to pull the heads to get the tips out... lol. I pulled the injector over every bad one and fished the swolen peice out with a little copper wire noose. Took a little time, but no problem.

All my AC's came out, three broke and I had to pull the injectors. I put all Duraterms in. I use them w/ a push button and none seem to have quit. They will work fine with the slave cable. When I installed mine I replaced the connections and used a 6 inch length of shrink tube to make the wires stiffer and keep them away from the exhaust. Put the tube right over the connector and it will keep the wire from breaking at the crimp. A little flux and solder if you have it at each crimp on the connectors prevents corrosion from creating resistance in the electrical circuit. Terminal grease in the connectors will also help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks