• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BOSCH Duraterm Glow Plugs

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH---

So, would you opt for Delco or Bosch? Bosch being a couple bucks more. All other factors equal.
I think I'll try the Bosch, next. I have never used them, and I would like to have real experience with them as well. The experiance/info posted by tamecrow sounds promising.

I've had/used 32 Wellmans(18 failed), in about 18 months(8 have swollen), then switched to AC60G and used about 10( only 2 failed) over about 12-14 months(none have swollen).

All of this is with new ends and 12v supplied to GP relay. Always random cylinder location failures.

I've installed ACdelcos in several other trucks with Manual controls and stock controllers with great success.

Warranty is not a factor for me, performance is.

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

Thought I'd see how your Bosch plugs have held up. I've had mine in for about the same amount of time. I checked them a couple of weeks ago and they ranged from 1.1 to 1.8 ohms. I had done the resistor bypass before I put these plugs in. I was curious what kind of resistance values you guys were getting.

I have a voltmeter installed on the load side of my gp relay and was seeing 9.5 to 10 volts at the turn of the key. They batteries are fully charge and showing 12.4 volts with the key off. I cleaned the connections and replaced the ground wire to the engine, (Should the old wire be pliable?) put a #4 from the battery to the gp relay. (had been using a wire from the 12 volt "diamond" to the gp relay) Replaced the hot wire between the batteries with a 2/0 (had it so used it) and the wire to the 12 volt "diamond" was cut off and a new end crimped on to it at the battery. I swapped the batteries around in case I have one giving out on me. Now I have 11 volts on the meter. I have FINALLY learned to leave the plugs heat up longer than it takes for the wait light to go out. Now it starts in the 1 to 1 1/2 seconds everybody talks about. I had decided it was a fuel delivery issue, not anymore!

So overall I'm happy with my Bosch's. I had been using 60g's but was replacing them every 3 months. They would just start failing one at time. I had already done the resistor bypass before I started using them. So I'll keep using the Bosch's for awhile.

Last edited:

ARYankee

I've had mine in for over a year. Now I haven't tested the resistance but then again I haven't had any problems. It fires right up.

Iceman3005

Yep I know Chuck. Hes not the owner of wellman though, he is not even employed by them. He is a private dealer for them called "IND USA". He sells allot of the GPs on eBay. He is a nice guy, dont know why he would have said that though? Wellman has a great warranty and they will return any gp if it fails. BUTT! Also need to remember with the CUCV if one GP fails the voltage rises in the others which is why when the CUCV gp system goes, it all goes at once.

I have bought several of sets from him, most don't make it a year. Everytime I call and tell them they have failed he gives me an earfull about honoring the warrenty. I need new glow plugs again, so I will not buy from him or the wellmans anymore, I am going to switch to Bosch.

Thank's Tamecrow for the info, I was trying to find a good set of GP's!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, at the age of these trucks, replacing the terminals with new quality 1/4" terminals is a good idea anyways.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another note on the Wellman numbers, IIRC the 050 has a 1/4" terminal and the 070 has a 3/16" terminal(original cucv size). Aside from that, they are the same GP.

I do not recommend using Wellmans at all.

I have had the best performance with AC Delco AC60G glow plugs.

As always, use caution when reading information on the Internet. There is plenty of outright lies and pure misinformation out there(just look at FB(cucv). Sometimes this is from ignorance or just plain stupidity, and sometimes it seems to be intentional just to create drama.

sierrajcharlie

As I said earlier I had the Bosch plugs in for about a year. Long story short, I pulled them out, found 1 operational. Put in the 60G's again, because they were on hand in the area. Through another thread figured out that my glow plug card is giving me a fit. It's been operating that way since the day I got the rig so I didn't know anything different. So now, only using the push button and have the card pulled. I'm getting starts within the second or two always talked about. I now wonder it my glow plug issues have actually been a result of a problem card this whole time. I guess I'll find out in a few months. As for the Wellmans, they were in the rig when I got it and all were dead. Reading on here I never had any desire to put them back in.