• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bottom end noise: tap/light knock & chirp? Advice needed!

fusioncow

Thanks for the updates, guys. I was suspecting that it was just a loose exhaust pipe making some rattle, as it was on the rear passenger side, and one of the pipes was slightly looser than the other. However, a couple days ago driving on the highway I started getting some shuddering and losing speed. The brakes worked fine, and the engine throttled correctly, but it felt like there was some resistance from the wheels. It started when I was at or exceeding 65 mph, and over 15 minutes continued down until it would happen at 45 mph. It didn't seem to progress past that. The squealing did stop though :doh:

I suspect at this point that the problem is different from the issues the OP has had. I've read through a lot of threads with these symptoms that point at u-joints, wheel bearings, drive shaft, tranny, etc. I'm planning on looking closer through the week and hopefully narrowing it down. I'm really hoping that it's something simple like the guys that changed my tires didn't hammer down the wheel weight, and it came off.

rickf

If you think it is a u-joint better check them out now. If that front joint on the rear shaft breaks it will be an a first class ride to he!!. The shaft will drop, whip around to the side and if you are lucky the rear joint will break right away. Does not usually happen that way and it can do all kinds of damage to the rear, body, undercarriage and even flip you. If the rear one breaks the shaft is coming out and the person behind you is going to be the recipient. Could be real ugly! Don't wait for them to break.

Rick

cscmc1

Thanks for the updates, guys. I was suspecting that it was just a loose exhaust pipe making some rattle, as it was on the rear passenger side, and one of the pipes was slightly looser than the other. However, a couple days ago driving on the highway I started getting some shuddering and losing speed. The brakes worked fine, and the engine throttled correctly, but it felt like there was some resistance from the wheels. It started when I was at or exceeding 65 mph, and over 15 minutes continued down until it would happen at 45 mph. It didn't seem to progress past that. The squealing did stop though :doh:

I suspect at this point that the problem is different from the issues the OP has had. I've read through a lot of threads with these symptoms that point at u-joints, wheel bearings, drive shaft, tranny, etc. I'm planning on looking closer through the week and hopefully narrowing it down. I'm really hoping that it's something simple like the guys that changed my tires didn't hammer down the wheel weight, and it came off.
I lost a wheel weight on our Saab shortly after a balance job... it's certainly possible! Hope it's that simple for you... u-joints are also a good idea to check, and also search "death wobble." Good luck, and keep us posted!

fusioncow

If you think it is a u-joint better check them out now. If that front joint on the rear shaft breaks it will be an a first class ride to he!!. The shaft will drop, whip around to the side and if you are lucky the rear joint will break right away. Does not usually happen that way and it can do all kinds of damage to the rear, body, undercarriage and even flip you. If the rear one breaks the shaft is coming out and the person behind you is going to be the recipient. Could be real ugly! Don't wait for them to break.

Rick
Thanks for the warning, Rick. I dont intend to drive it until I know what the issue is and have it resolved.

I'll definitely keep updating as I have news. thanks all!

fusioncow

Hey all, quick update: Took it in to the tire shop yesterday (finally; work schedule has been ****). They said that the balance was fine, and had traced it to the u-joint. From what they said, it sounds like the bearings are completely shot. Doh! Hoping to have a buddy come by next weekend to try and fix it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks