• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a 1008 over the weekend.

jacklegjim

It is a pretty solid truck an 86 model with 77,000 miles it needs to be repainted.
I have a few questions about a couple things. There is a switch on the dash to hold down for the glowplugs to come on. The glowplug resistors have been bypassed already.
I would like to do away with the switch and fix what ever went wrong to cause someone to put the switch on there. Should I fix it or leave it alone?
There is a bundle of wires with a cannon plug on it about 4' long coming out of front of the bed. Would this ever be useful to me or should I remove it?
On the driver side valve cover there is a sticker that says the engine was live-run dynamometer tested by Joe Davis.Does this mean the engine has replaced
or would it have been pulled out tested and put back in? Is there a way to tell if and when the engine was replaced?
Also the oil cooler hoses have been removed is this something that was common to see or do I need to be looking for a reason why they were removed?
Thanks Jim

lostintexas

Likely the controller card for the GPs went out and whoever owned the truck took the easy way out and simply did a bypass. There are vendors on here that sell the controllers. Could be you have electrical issues elsewhere in the system but either way fairly straightforward to put back with some time and reading. Rest of the questions I'll defer to the more knowledgeable around here.

MarcusOReallyus

There is a switch on the dash to hold down for the glowplugs to come on. The glowplug resistors have been bypassed already.
I would like to do away with the switch and fix what ever went wrong to cause someone to put the switch on there. Should I fix it or leave it alone?
Personal choice, but there's a reason that a smart controller card was designed, built, and included. If it were me, I'd fix it.

Check the classifieds for controller cards from member antennaclimber. 85 bucks, and it's possible you'll need to do some other troubleshooting. No problem - there's plenty of help available here.

There is a bundle of wires with a cannon plug on it about 4' long coming out of front of the bed. Would this ever be useful to me or should I remove it?
Coming out of the bed? Can you post a pic?

Also the oil cooler hoses have been removed is this something that was common to see or do I need to be looking for a reason why they were removed?
Maybe somebody had the engine out, and either was too lazy to put the lines back in, or couldn't get the fittings to cooperate. OR! There's a leak from engine oil to the radiator coolant within the radiator. Are the holes plugged? Or are the lines just... missing? Another possibility is that the lines were leaking, and the PO took the easy way out.

Whatever the reason, you could just run it like it is, if everything is working okay. If it were me, I'd need to know.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks