• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a 5 ton

chris1530

Hey everyone im new around here..
Just bought a 5 ton 1968, Kaiser with the multi fuel engine. with winch
bought it on GSA auctions

Have a 500 mile trip to go pick it up, been talking with the guy, says its been run quite a bit over the last few years. says there is nothing wrong with it( except broke PTO housing) and it runs drives and stops great.
The pto housing is broke, he says he has another one laying around i can have, to make it work.

Anyway i was looking for soome help, was trying to get to the TM section, and all it does is drop me in classifieds ?
basically looking for the basic info, like what to use in primarys ? where each are located with the multi fuel.. maybe a link to the TM section would help.

THanks guys

chris1530

Yeah but the Shelter(comand post) dont come with it..
Im just glad a fire department had it, after talking with the guy sounds like they took good care of it, and maintained it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the pto housing is cracked, and If you are going to drive it home it will have to be fixed first,
also look at the winch drive sheer pin, good chance the cracked housing was caused be a bolt being used instead ot the correct pin

chris1530

Yeah im gonna put the one he has on, and refill it with 90 wt. before i drive it anywhere
Ill check the pin to.

wsucougarx

haha that looks like the 5 ton in Shelton, WA!! Is that the one in the Skok valley? Skokomish River valley that is? If so that truck is about 55 miles from me.

wsucougarx

Do you plan on driving her home? If you need help I can definately help you out as long as our schedules match. I've gotten "Dead" trucks started and running in the Mason County rural fire dept's (Shelton included). Love seeing the expression of the voluntary fire captains seeing their over a year old deadlined trucks come alive...haha

wsucougarx

Primary Fuel filter NAPA 3511 (bring plenty for the trip home)
Secondary Fuel Filters NAPA 3512 (need 2)
Need 5 gallons of oil. I use Rotella-T 15/40
Tranny/Transfer case/Differential. I use NAPA GL-1 90w

chris1530

NIce thanks for offering, and yeah i plan on driving her home..

ive been in contact with the person there over seeing it, His name is Al.
He has told me it Runs and drives fine, Needs battery's, the PTO cover is broken, but he also says he has one of those i can have to go with it.
He told me all I need is Battery's, to change the cover, 90 wt oil to go in the tranny(from craked PTO). Said antifreeze and everything else should be all good to go
But i plan on taking extra stuff just in case

5 gallons 90 wt oil
1-2 gallons antifreeze
brake fluid
15/40 Oil
Tools
Jack
Laptop with DL TM manuals.

Im sure theres more

wsucougarx

You betcha:
NAPA Premium XL 25-9470 (need 2)-generator/water pump belts
NAPA Premium XL 25-9510 (need 1)- air compressor belt

If you plan on changing out the air compressor belt try and get a hold of the air compressor belt tool. It'll make the job much easier. If not, then bring a big set of channel locks. Also bring a can of PB Blaster to loosen the stubborn bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks