• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a 5 ton

chris1530

Thank you everyone for the good luck wishs..
I picked her up Saturday.. Had a bad starter solinoid, so we pull started it, ran great 13 hours straight.
Had a few minor set backs, lost air pressure relief stuck.. theres some leaks on the diffs, and oil pan..
But all in all she drove GREAT... slow going but made it back safe.

Now its time to go through it and replace all fluids.. and some seals. and start the beautification..

ANyone know wear to locate boots and seals ?

THANKS AGAIN

chris1530

yeah he left the plates for me.. i just got to mail them back.
Oh seems the napa number for the fuel filters are differnt than the ones i need, the filter i have is about 7" the one napa gave me is only about 5" says napa 3511
Corse i could be looking at the wrong thing too.. idk

Last edited:

jollyroger

I was gonna say good luck but you already made it home so good job. [thumbzup]

That being a multifuel M-54 is it a 1968 or a 1958 truck? I'm lookin' for some LDS motors and I'm just tryin' to see what trucks to look for as parts.

vtdeucedriver

Oh seems the napa number for the fuel filters are differnt than the ones i need, the filter i have is about 7" the one napa gave me is only about 5" says napa 3511
5" inches is about right, its not a big filter, its made to keep the water at the bottom if any is entered in the system. The primary filter will be not 1/2 the lengith of the secondary ones...............who is to say that the one that was in it was correct to begin with. You will face that problem with more than one thing or another being a EX fire dept truck.

That being said, I just got stumped with some radiator mounts that the army put in. They were not stock but other than being mostly rubber and dry rotted, they would have worked. I found exact replacements at my local Kenworth dealer.

Last edited:

jollyroger

it is a 1968..
umm how soon you looking for engines..
I have two M-35's that are candidates for the LDS.........You got a line on some engines? My dad and I found 2 trucks at auction out here with LDS motors but the motors are LDS-2's designed to go in front of an Allison 6 speed automatic and the engines and trucks are too rare to part out.........So I'm back on the hunt.

chris1530

No line but i will prolly be replacing mine with a cummins 12 valve,
ill get more power and torque and half the weight.
you checking GL there seems to be alot of auctions around colorado

chris1530

Dont get me wrong i like it, and the engine only has 8660 miles, and 440 hours, but im looking at the power output of the 12 valve, power to wieght is way better..

But im a tinkerer.. plus i plan to bob it... got a buddy lookin for dump truck springs and set up for the rear.
He's also got me an air seat, then i plan to build an air bench.
Plan to scrap the bed, and build one that follows the body lines of the cab better.

it will get rims and tires too:grin:

wsucougarx

Corse i could be looking at the wrong thing too.. idk
The little filter goes into the primary fuel filter housing. The reason it's short because that is the collection point for most of the water in your fuel. There is a spring/adapter inside the housing

wsucougarx

Hmm, looks like they either removed the stop ring on the threaded shaft -or- they replaced the housing with a secondary/final housing. Is there a spot for a stop ring half way down the middle threaded shaft? You can probably just run with that set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks