• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a Deuce need some advice

Brimmstone

Ok here’s the story. Known about this unit for years but owner wanted a fortune for it. Circumstances have changed and I got lucky and asked at the right time. Deal has been made and we’re moving it this weekend. I’m not majorly familiar with them. Has a push button for start and a pull handle for engine kill. I’ll figure it out eventually but any advice would help. We’re going to drag it up onto my friends float trailer to get it out of there. Can’t drive it because they mixed brake fluids and turned it to jelly I’ve been told. Currently my number one concern is getting it out of there and some place secure. Any suggestions what I should look for before trying to spin it over. I’m a diesel master tech so I know the general just not the specialized for this rig. Will post some pics up tomorrow when I go back over

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok here’s the story. Known about this unit for years but owner wanted a fortune for it. Circumstances have changed and I got lucky and asked at the right time. Deal has been made and we’re moving it this weekend. I’m not majorly familiar with them. Has a push button for start and a pull handle for engine kill. I’ll figure it out eventually but any advice would help. We’re going to drag it up onto my friends float trailer to get it out of there. Can’t drive it because they mixed brake fluids and turned it to jelly I’ve been told. Currently my number one concern is getting it out of there and some place secure. Any suggestions what I should look for before trying to spin it over. I’m a diesel master tech so I know the general just not the specialized for this rig. Will post some pics up tomorrow when I go back over
If the brake fluid turned to jelly the DOT 5 was likely mixed with DOT 3

Do yourself a favor and download and read the operator's TM (-10) , here is a link :
TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

The lube order :
LO9-2320-209-12-1.pdf
LO9-2320-209-12-1 Lubrication Order for the M35 series.

And a good one to get to know your truck :
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.

And all the M35 Tm's :

Brimmstone

Thank you much gentlemen. I’m sure I’m getting myself another migraine but I’ve wanted one for years so I’ll deal. All filters were on the first order to start.

Porky yeah it got mixed according to the guy who had been working on it. Should be fun to clean all the lines out. Thankfully I have a 55gallon drum of brake cleaner.

Brimmstone

Depending on how long its been since it last ran, you might want to ensure the fuel control moves correctly. Like an old jimmy, they can stick at wot if left sitting long enough. Theres pictures/ descriptions to be found on this site of exactly where to look.
Gotcha. Figure it can’t be any worse than working on an old 855 cummins or 3406 cat

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well since nobody beat me to it, I have to say Welcome to the Outfit!

Glad to hear that you have your own piece of green history. That push button for the starter... Is that on the floor or is it on the dash? Maybe snap up a bunch of pictures and post them here. The guys will be more than happy to make suggestions based on experienced eyes.

Once you can get her home and you start on the brakes, the rubber cups in the wheel cylinders might be "shot" and need to be replaced. Easy enough and several threads explain the process.

porkysplace saved you a lot of time hunting down the TM's (Technical Manuals). Be sure to thumb them and compare what is in front of you compared to the books. They are DRY reading, but the LO book gives you specs on fluids and where grease needs to be put. A reminder to all of us is that "Grease is Cheap, Parts are Not". That little saying is worth its weight in gold!

Again, picture us - and welcome to the group.

fleetmech

Gotcha. Figure it can’t be any worse than working on an old 855 cummins or 3406 cat
Not worse, but they have their peculiarities. Ambac did their own thing with these pumps and they didnt get used on much other than Multi's, so the knowledge is very specific. If you're at all familiar with the more complex rotary pumps like the Bosch VE, you'll have a bit of a head start.

Brimmstone

Well since nobody beat me to it, I have to say Welcome to the Outfit!

Glad to hear that you have your own piece of green history. That push button for the starter... Is that on the floor or is it on the dash? Maybe snap up a bunch of pictures and post them here. The guys will be more than happy to make suggestions based on experienced eyes.

Once you can get her home and you start on the brakes, the rubber cups in the wheel cylinders might be "shot" and need to be replaced. Easy enough and several threads explain the process.

porkysplace saved you a lot of time hunting down the TM's (Technical Manuals). Be sure to thumb them and compare what is in front of you compared to the books. They are DRY reading, but the LO book gives you specs on fluids and where grease needs to be put. A reminder to all of us is that "Grease is Cheap, Parts are Not". That little saying is worth its weight in gold!

Again, picture us - and welcome to the group.
Thank you. I had an account previously but don’t even remember the name. Don’t matter because that email died years ago. Button is on dash almost below the column. I’ll be getting pics tomorrow when we move it. Friend is going to swap moving it for me to change injectors in his truck.
As to grease I’m well versed in greasing everything. I work on overhead cranes currently and it gets EXPENSIVE if they aren’t regularly maintained.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you do get ready to drive it the first time you need to note that the deuce has a unique shift pattern. I would recommend that you stick with DOT 5 brake fluid. It's expensive, but good stuff and also what is supposed to be in it. You can often find gallon cans of it on Ebay.

Charlie175

Welcome!
I will recommend as above to look at the fuel cutoff. There are some good youtube videos on it by Tactical Repair. I recently recovered 2 Deuces and 1 was stuck at WOT.
Second issue may be priming the fuel system if the in tank pump does not work. I purchased a 24v pump and ran one line in the tank and slipped the other end over the supply line. Opened the bleeder and turned the pump on for a short while and that pushed fuel until the air was out. Once done, reattached the lines to the tank and the Injection primer pump was able to pull fuel in. I just had some long lead wires for the pump and just touched to the battery terminals to run the pump. It was easy enough and I carry it with me now until I get the lift pump fixed in case I need to prime it again.
Check the air cleaner for critters if the mushroom cover was left off.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok here’s the story. Known about this unit for years but owner wanted a fortune for it. ~ because they mixed brake fluids and turned it to jelly I’ve been told. Any suggestions what I should look for before trying to spin it over. ~
Assure mushroom cover is easy take off, and get a big CO2 extinquisher and a cover board ready to cover the intake as it could run away of startup. Two people minimum. There is a one inch line goes to the air compressor on back of air cleaner that you better plug off as She will run to govenor maximum with just that air hole open.

Attached is data for you

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks