• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A M1009 Turn In Won't Start Help

greenupscott

Banned
I posted a thread earlier in the week about a fire department M1009 turn in I bought. I know nothing about it. I had to run new battery cables and the 10 gauge wire on the back firewall and hook the starter wire to 24 volt, all were cut. When I try to start it and turn the key a relay or solenoid on the firewall kicks and the temperatuire light comes on, no crank. I am new to these and hate that I'm ignorant about them. I'm assuming the 24 volt is for starting and glow plugs.. The thing I thought earlier on the dash next to the sticker is the glow plug light I think, please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought earlier it was a start button of some kind.... Any ideas???? The solenoid on the starter looks brand new by the way. I'm hoping it had an electrical problem that the fire dept couldn't figure out and they simply turned it back in. I haven't checked power to the solenoid on the starter since I'm working alone. Is the solenoid 12v or 24v.. Anybody live in south central Ohio that knows these things???? I can provide lots of free beer for helpers as I work weekend maintenance for Anheuser Busch in Columbuis

erniemigi

I would start off by making sure all the grounds are tight and do not have rust all over them, on my M1009 there is a ground wire that is next to the front battery, then another one that is down on the frame by the motor (next to the front batt) under the dash on the driver side there is a 6 prong grounding unit, i had one that wasn't attached and it caused the windshield wipers, turn signals, and believe it or not the starter wouldn't engage, check the wires that lead to your starter to make sure they r attached and tight

Westech

CPL
I would say Start reading the TM's. Just read every one or atleast skim them. If you know nothing this will help you get to know your truck and how to repair it and not post 100's of post on "how or what is this".
This will help you the most. Please Read the TM's!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.
Make sure you visit the CUCV FAQ Article (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information. Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the FAQ Thread for CUCV's stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

You truck wiring has been butchered. You need to decide if you want to go back stock or "fix" what you have.

You will need to give us pictures or detailed drawings of what is left or what has been added.

Start with the wiring diagrams that are in Appendix F or Appendix E of the TM 9-2320-289-20 or TM 9-2320-289-34 technical manuals. Each system has its own drawing.

Warthog

greenupscott

Banned
No I drive to greenup, Ky through the week and Columbus on the weeken d days I volunteer. I see you live in Ripley, I worked as an electrician at Meldahl Locks until I could transfer to Greenup.. Now that was a haul.

3dubs

Starter 24V

Glow Plugs 12V

The glow plugs had a resistor to bring the 24V down to 12V. Mine and many others had the glow plug relay wired to the front battery.

Good luck!

ranchhopper

Check the 10GA purple wire going to the starter check the ring terminal where it bolts to the starter for power I think its the S terminal. Have someone turn the key to the start position if no power check the wire where it goes into the terminal I had two that had power to the terminal but none coming out I replaced the ring terminal and they both worked after that.

dependable

I would load test both batteries or just put in two you know are good. Starter won't kick in unless it has close to the full 24v. Just got a 1009 from GL, had similar problems(though no cut wires) front battery had bad cell. New battery, all ok.

greenupscott

Banned
Ok I'll do some reading before more asking. I took the Optimas out of my truck and tractor, they should have been charged pretty good. Is the glow plug light to the right of the steeringbelow the heater controls? It looks like and acts like a push button. Thanks for all advice.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a stock system the glowplug "wait light" is above the instrument cluster next to the Water In Fuel light.

The TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual has a diagram of where and what all the lights and gauges are.

You truck sounds like it might be modified. The previos owner may have installed a pushbutton for the glowplug syatem, bypassing the controller card.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks