• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an M1081

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello ,

I bought a beautiful M1081 on Gov planet , it’s located in Columbia SC and I need to drive it to Norfolk. Can anybody recommend a temporary insurance?

By the way , i’m not a us citizen or have an address in the us.

Thanks,

Berend

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given that the listing says "could not be started" as NDT pointed out, I would suggest you find someone local to haul it out and get it going. Either way...if you drive it or have it hauled...it will be easier and cheaper once it gets to the port if it is a runner. I have had a truck shipped from Hawaii many moons ago (it was a non-runner), and I know this to be true.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to the inspector , he told me the truck is very nice and it needs new batteries and to be sure bring a new starter. I need to truck running for the RoRo shipping otherwise the shipping is way more expensive like Bkubu says.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Is it the m1081a1 with the m1078a1 data plate? Nice looking truck if it is. Probably newer than the data plate says since its not the correct plate for the truck. I believe the truck was listed as "powered on but wouldnt crank". Which can be any number of issues. The trans display did show neutral powered on so thats a good sign.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the M1081A1 , It was first listed as a M1078A1 but iron planet changed it after some time to M1081A1 .The weight and dimensions plate says M1081A1 . There is no picture of the plate at the drivers side with the vin and year

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does anybody have a good address in Columbia to get 4 new nato batteries and a starter ?
A napa there would have the 6TLs. Just order them so they have them waiting. Might get lucky and and be able to jump the starter. Or 74m35a2 can mail one to a member there. Best bet would be to have it hauled to Norfolk then work on it. But thats just me

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
That truck has a data bus you can use a hd code reader for diagnostics. 4 fully charged batts are a good start though. The starter itself is easy to jump with a clip lead and you would know right away if it was bad.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be prepared for extremely expensive repairs by a Caterpillar dealership to get this running. Another member here bought a similar "won't start" A1 and it has a bad $4000 ECU. The starter is also an expensive item.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m always prepared for the worst case, but we hope for the best :) . This is the 7th LMTV I bought. 3 of them where “non Runners” but we always managed to drive them off the Base and home :) Upcoming Thursday we will know, keeps you guys updated.

But I still don’t know the best way to insure it if it drives. Here in the Netherlands anyone can get a temporary insurance on the vin number for 2 weeks for €110. You can get it online and they mail you the insurance card. To bad its only valid in Europe.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It’s a really nice looking truck. You don’t see many of those. I bid up to 15 on it. You wanted it way more than I did. Until you have hands on it you are really only guessing at what’s going on. The starters do seem to be a common failure item especially from long term sitting. Maybe there is a member local to that area that can help recover it and at worst tow it somewhere safe so that you can do whatever work to it that needs to be done to make it road worthy.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be great if someone would live nearby and has time Thursday to help. Any help is welcome. I’m flying to Atlanta the day before.

I really wanted to have it no matter what , but I also got carried away a bit on the auction . Luckily the euro is strong so for me it’s like buying evething with 23% discount.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mike, SCSG-G4 is in Lexington, SC. Not sure of his schedule or if he is up for a recovery with his deuce.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He got the starter fixed, batteries charged up and took it for a drive! Found the fuel line to the Arctic heater in the back has a crack that will leak fuel if turned on. VERY nice truck! I got to play step-and-fetch-it a little, and he did get to visit the MVCSC compound before we went to lunch.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He got the starter fixed, batteries charged up and took it for a drive! Found the fuel line to the Arctic heater in the back has a crack that will leak fuel if turned on. VERY nice truck! I got to play step-and-fetch-it a little, and he did get to visit the MVCSC compound before we went to lunch.
Man, I want an arctic heater like that...BADLY! :)

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Thanks for the help Mike , I appreciate it very much. Also the inspector from ironplanet Dean is a great guy. He also helped me take off the starter and helped me find a good shop to get it working again within 24 Houres. It only needed cleaning because it was hardly used. The bendix didn’t go out far enough. And just to make sure they replaced the starter selenoid. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The truck wasn’t cheap but I understand now why people pay so much more for an A1 , it really makes a big difference compared to the A0. Especially if you want to go and make a mobile of it the A1 is the truck to buy. The increased horsepower is great, this one has 350hp according the the cat sticker on the engine and you can really feel that. [/FONT][/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks