• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an M123A1C today

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have posted this before.......there are two M123's and one M125 within 5 miles of my LZ.

They are up for adoption but the fee is high.......they are owned by a scrapper so they will not go below scrap price.

What is the scrap price in your area now? I could use one as my toy to play around one while in the USA

Kalashnikov

It's suppose to be around 2MPG. I'm not too concerned since I'm not sure how often/far I'll be driving it due to the slow top speed plus I run WMO.

kastein

WOW!

Glad you bought that because I am short on cash right now and probably would have bought it if I saw it. Thank you for preserving my financial well being rofl

If you ever need a hand working on it let me know, I love wrenching on stuff.

Kalashnikov

Ok, so I finally got around to doing some work on the 10 ton. I ditched the stock fuel filter set-up for a 2 spin on filters and added a ball valve post filter so I wouldn't have to re-prime to the IP every filter change. Much to my surprise the truck started right up after the filter change and a little priming in the cab. Nothing like I was expecting after working on the NHC250.

My headlights aren't getting power so I (semi)temporarily wired them up to another switch in the cab. I made sure not to cut the stock harness. No hi-beams but they are plenty bright on low.

Replaced a few bulbs but couldn't get the rear driver's blinker to work. I'll have to trace it down in the wiring.

I replaced my temp gauge with a known good from my M818 and found the old one to be faulty.

The oil pressure gauge is electronic and the one from my M818 is mechanical so I couldn't swap that out.

Found a few leaks; oil leak up towards the front of the engine, transmission output, and the output on the middle axle.

It still dies if you let it idle for a minute or so even after it is warmed. I remember adjusting the idle screw before with no result so I will have to try again. It doesn't seem to be smoking as much after driving it around for an hour or so and some the other day as well.

That's pretty much it for mechanical stuff. Just some air leaks, the glow plug bulb, the spot light and beacon (which isn't there), and a few other small things to take care of. There seems to be a lot of unplugged wires and random things under the dash and in the engine compartment though. I know some of the heater stuff is still there but I don't know about the rest of the stuff.

I'm getting use to driving it now, just starting out that is killer. It seems to always give me resistance when I try to shift into 1st or 2nd and I have to wait a little while for the gears to slow down. It also is tough to shift into 2nd without the exhaust brake. By the time the RPMs are down the truck has stopped! The rest of the gears are fine.

I got this block with the truck but I am clueless as to its function...

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice read. That is on heck of a beast. Now to find a place around here where you can actually use it for something like hauling rocks, pulling trees or as demolition truck for houses.

Edit: just finished the article. That must have hurt hard loosing a brand-new old engine just a month after you installed it.

Last edited:

Kalashnikov

saw you had it up for sale and wondered what was up... and wished I had the cash to buy it!
Well it's sort of if it sells then it sells if it doesn't then it doesnt. Not looking to dump it off quick but if someone pays the right price...then maybe I'll get a wrecker or a 920!

Click link. Start reading. You will find it is a super-truck...but has some quirks mainly around the transmission. They get into a lot of description and usage details and extreme overloads. It's a great read!

VanNatta Big Trucks - The big 6x6 Mack M123A1C
Every time I read that I learn more and more, time to read it again!

Drove it around some more today during the day. Transmission was low so I added some oil. Tried adjusting the idle again but the screw is maxed out. Checked my air filter and it was pretty dirt so I'll be ordering a new one. Found the link in the steering going from the pitman arm to the knuckle on the axle is pretty loose. Does the joint on the end, particularly the knuckle side, pop out for replacement? Any sources for replacements?

spicergear

This will piss off the purists... If I had that truck I would pull the V300 and giant trans/transfer case and dump the 425hp Silver 92 Detroit and 13speed Road Ranger I have and add a T136 5 ton Rockwell transfer case in it. Get rid of 80% of the most problematic parts and still have a super usable 6x6 GIANT. Oh, and sell the pulled parts as spares to any cargo or M123 guys, of course. :mrgreen:

Kalashnikov

How much torque does the V300 make?
I believe it is 950ftlbs.

This will piss off the purists... If I had that truck I would pull the V300 and giant trans/transfer case and dump the 425hp Silver 92 Detroit and 13speed Road Ranger I have and add a T136 5 ton Rockwell transfer case in it. Get rid of 80% of the most problematic parts and still have a super usable 6x6 GIANT. Oh, and sell the pulled parts as spares to any cargo or M123 guys, of course. :mrgreen:
A cummins 400 crossed my mind...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HUGE score and YES that is the way I meant it, That truck has so much potential its hard to even put it into words, like the truck the word "BEAST" does not even come close! Great save and please keep us posted!!
KK

Kalashnikov

I'm hoping to get it decorated with lights for the local Christmas parades. I haven't driven iot lately and I'm itching to get back into it.

I need a bulb for the glow plug circuit but it's not like any other bulbs on the truck. Any idea where to get one/the number?

indy4x4fab

Banned
I found this one for sale to day on craigslist, i wish i could swing it but it just isn't in the card right now. And its local too.:drool::mad:aua I wish I could save it. I would fix this up and drive it to work every day, all five miles.

10 Ton Army Truck M123C

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks