• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bought an UGLY '62 404....planning to sell but should i remove...

SixSpeed

Banned
M105 is too short for a Unimog, unless it is a Doka cab.

I have been following that Pepsi truck for...months, its been for sale a few times. Glad someone bought it..

The way I see it, is you have two options. 1.) Clean it up, and throw it on eBay or 2.) Clean it up, ditch the..."bed", fabricate a flatbed or get LUCKY and find a radiobox or factory bed, paint it and then sell it.

I am not sure if you would make any more money on option 2 though, it depends how careful you are fixing it up (money wise). The biggest problem with Unimogs is that values can vary widely. Since there are never many for sale and they are all a bit different, they can be hard to price, the market is equally small.

Hope that helps. :) If you have any questions let us know!

Edit: Forgot to ad, for option #2 I am not aware of any "off the shelf" beds that would work. A Deuce bed is too long, an M105 bed is too short. A Cut Deuce bed would work, but its a bit wide, weight isn't a real issue with it. Mogs work best with at least some weight in the back.

Last edited:

azM35a2

if it were a doka cab i would probably keep it as the kid would find it fun... 2 seater really kills your fun levels when you have a kid.

it's sold 3 times that i'm aware of, 1 in an unknown location in 2009, once in march of 2010, and then today. i wish i could find more info about it when it was actually up/running in it's configuration. i emailed pepsi but this was done by pepsi lane which was a privately owned pepsi bottling plant at the time.

for the moment i went with option 1 and tossed it on ebay for 9999.99 or best offer....figured it couldn't hurt to try.

jeep-Jeep

put a hunter rack on it and dog boxes below and sell it as a south texas hunting rig .
sounds funny but there is a market .
ask **** chaney .
his X hunting guide sold his truck to a buddy of mine .

Takai13

do a search for a pepsi collectors forum there might be a market as-is ,its probably 1 of a kind
and a pepsi collector with a garage and money might grab it up ya never know what people will buy .
It sounds like you are already doing this with the ebay ad. If nothing else it gives you time to think through what to do about the bed. And if sells in the meantime great. Despite what it looks like (or maybe because of it) that truck must have some interesting history.

azM35a2

i want nothing more than to tear the bed off of it but as some have suggest....it might be what a buyer is looking for...so, will try with bed...if it doesn't sell, bed comes off.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have touched on a viable solution. Add a back seat for the kid by popping the back of the cab rearward a foot. Since the bed is coming off that'd be easy.

if it were a doka cab i would probably keep it as the kid would find it fun... 2 seater really kills your fun levels when you have a kid.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of guys who restore old Dodge Power Wagons replace the rusted out beds with oak flatbeds and sideboards. They do it very pretty-like, so don't bubba the job, and you'll have a really cool seller. I'd change the paint job too. Flat OD green is fine.

azM35a2

i tossed it on ebay for 7 days at 9999.99 or best offer. i figured i'd give it a chance to sell WITH the bed on it first so i don't go through all the hassle of removing it just to find out the strange person who bought it Wanted that bed on it.

once the auction is over, if it's not sold...the bed comes off.

3dAngus

You beat me to it. I would not change a thing, for now. Advertise it as is, test the market. All it takes is one buyer, for reasons of his own, for which you can never guess. Change something on it and it may be counterproductive, where you lose a lot of time and expense unnecessarily.

UNIMOG-GUY

I didn't realize that you were on the Benz World Forum also....

But with that said I agree with what coach said

"Mount the Drink machine bed to a trailer w/generator. Mount some drink machines of your choice (I would do 1 COKE, 1 PEPSI and 1 filled with RedBull and Monster or snacks... repaint to match. Take and leave it at the trail head of different four wheeling events such as Mog Fest, King of the Hammers etc. to make enough funds to pay for the cost of the trip".

If you were closer I'd buy the back from you to do just this.

However I have a question,,,is the picture I attached viewing the mog from behind the rear axle looking forward or from infront of the rear axle looking towards the rear?

Attachments

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HE(( Fellas.........I got the money makin idea of the century!!!
You put a Pepsi fountain in the back,a soft serve ice cream maker
and talk Wrecker man into selling pepsi/possum ice cream floats
at all the SS east coast rallies!!! rofl:razz: :shock: popacom

azM35a2

I didn't realize that you were on the Benz World Forum also....

But with that said I agree with what coach said

"Mount the Drink machine bed to a trailer w/generator. Mount some drink machines of your choice (I would do 1 COKE, 1 PEPSI and 1 filled with RedBull and Monster or snacks... repaint to match. Take and leave it at the trail head of different four wheeling events such as Mog Fest, King of the Hammers etc. to make enough funds to pay for the cost of the trip".

If you were closer I'd buy the back from you to do just this.

However I have a question,,,is the picture I attached viewing the mog from behind the rear axle looking forward or from infront of the rear axle looking towards the rear?

that photo is the rear where the generator was mounted. this is behind the frame, the yellow things you see are the shocks.

how far behind the shock mounts should a STOCK frame go? i'm trying to figure out if they cut the frame or not.

had one person look at it today....didn't make an offer that was to pleasing. returned an offer of just enough to cover the cost of it (but they also wanted the bed removed for them) ......they said they'd "let me know" which typically means No. (though really why not just say No thanks?)

azM35a2

well i can honestly say that i'm having no real interest with the "pepsi" bed. i hate to go through the effort of removing it so i dropped the ebay price down to the lowest possible price....maybe it'll move. sure would be easier.

azM35a2

well the bed is off and it is relisted....we'll see if it yields any better results in finding a new owner. i would paint it but, if i were to paint it i would rather build a bed for it first and paint both at the same time... we'll see what happens this time around, if it doesn't sell i'll start searching for a flatbed that can be made to fit (prefer to start with something than from scratch...cheaper and easier)

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are lots of offroaders that run Mogs without a bed, or no bed and a spare tire bolted where it was. I think the chances are good it finds a new home this time.

azM35a2

i'm worried that the fact that the frame appears cut will cause a loss of interest but we'll see. any idea how far past the spring supports the frame usually went?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK All YES we all agree the paint is TERRIBLE and that contraption of a bed is Well I dont have words for that BUT if lets try to remember whats underneath all that nonsense, its still a heck of a nice 404!!! Put a decent flatbed on it and for goodness sake get rid of that blew color you may decide to keep it then but if you sell it its GOT TO bring more money than how it looks right now!
KK

saddamsnightmare

February 23rd, 2011.

All Jesting aside.....:-?

The rear frame does seem to have been shortened significantly behind the rear shock hangers, and before you guys tell him (the OP) to mount a shortened duece bed on the beast, remind him that ANY bed has to be able to stand a more extensively flexible frame then the deuce's. Unimog's, Particularly S404.114's are known for their frame flexing, and anything, even a plain flat bed, has to be attached by mounts that will allow the frame to flex under it. The Swiss Unimog cargo version has one side of the bed ridgidly bolted to forged brackets attached to the frame and the bed, the other side has three rocker mounts to allow for movement of the underframe. The S404.114 will make any deuce bed or component just about crack due to this flexibility, as the Unimog makes the deuce look like an arthritic old man on really rough surfaces. I've driven both, and the S404.114 will go places the Deuce could never think of, not even the bobbed ones, that's why you usually see Unimogs as extreme off road or rock crawlers, and even those guys do manage to bust an S404.114 frame now and then.
If you get $8K out of it, in the current market with fuel prices rising as they are no doubt gonna do....Grab it! BUT, my experience bets you won't get more then $4K for it because everyone just about undervalues and underrates the standard Swiss S404.114's. Good luck, happy hunting (or selling)!2cents

N.B.: The normal rear face of the last stock Unimog cross member will be about 32 to 33" behind the vertical rear face of the rear shock hanger bracket (or pedestal). The rear frame and it's panhard member contributes greatly to the strength and pulling abilities of the normal S404.114, and the stock pintle hook mount also had more rotational allowance then a standard US M35A2 mount to allow for the extreme terrain capabilities (much like a Gama Goat). The front and rear axles on a S404.114 can be as much as 30* off of level in opposite directions and the truck can still maintain it's footing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks