• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought Another but What Is It? M1031/M1028A2/A3?

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my 5th CUCV but never had one like this. I would like to make into a hay hauling truck on the farm but I wont if there's a reason to keep it as is or if it has some special parts. Anyone want the shop bed if I remove it?. So it started life as a M1031, then was converted to duals, then bed added? The DATA plates are posted.M1028A2A3.dataplate.JPGM1031.dataplate.JPGM1028.duals.JPGNSN.jpgside.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Terracoma

So it started life as a M1031, then was converted to duals, then bed added?
Correct. Build date (6/86) and VIN (1GBH) indicates that it was delivered as a cab-chassis M1031, with data tags showing the conversion to M1028A2.

Correction: Looks like it has the newer shop box.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I am a believer that a lot of the dually conversions are from Texas. I think that truck was a motorpool conversion to what was needed directly at the time that the upgraded hardware became available.

I also think that was a 1031 that started life but that a field commission was applied as I am not sure about the rear fenders. The front wheel looks to be pushed outward also? What do you think Terracoma?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for clarity - all M1028A2/A3s were converted from M1028/A1/M1031. None of those duallys came from the factory for the military.

I have seen a few with that style bed. If I didn't use mine to pull the S788 5th-wheel trailer, I'd happily swap that bed onto my 1028A2!

Not sure about the front wheel being pushed out, I just went and looked at mine, seems the same to my eye.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Dana 60 front axle has dually hubs installed as part of the conversion so that the dished dually rims can be installed. This way one spare works front and back. This makes the front wheels a little wider! This may be what you are seeing.

Terracoma

The front wheel looks to be pushed outward also? What do you think Terracoma?
The Dana 60 front axle has dually hubs installed as part of the conversion...This makes the front wheels a little wider! This may be what you are seeing.
Hard to tell, but it might be the distance/angle of the photo causing some trickery of the eye...thus making it appear that the tire is sticking waaaay out.

Would love to see some more photos (especially from underneath) of those dually fenders.

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this one was a M1031, has the trac-lok in the front and no rust or dents, I think I will keep it for a farm field truck. That tan dually looks awesome. Would anyone need this service shop bed? The gen and air compressor look good and the box still has all the data plates inside and out showing the info.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tan dually looks awesome. Would anyone need this service shop bed?
Thanks! It had 29,247 original miles on the clock when I got it, and included maintenance paperwork to prove it. It was screened by a fire department, rather than auctioned, so they got some log books with it. But they never did anything with the truck, fortunately, it just sat until they decided they didn't need it. It is in very good shape.

I have an S788 shelter and a 5th wheel trailer, use the 1028 to pull it. Hadn't mated the shelter and trailer yet when I took these pictures.

I'll PM you about your truck bed, it would be nice to preserve it.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks