• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought me a M923A2 Today!!!

Glen1978

Not my first MV as my first was a 67 M715. First big one though! Its a 1990 M923A2 with a soft top. Has the rear bows and canvas and is all complete. Little higher miles than Ive seen from most at 30.9k but for $6700 I couldnt complain. Guy said water pump was replaced and the CTIS didnt work.....other than that said it was a solid truck. Im up in Buena Vista, CO so hope I dont regret the soft top. Should pick it up this weekend. Anyway Ive lurked here awhile and appreciate all the great info. Ill be posting up more after I get it to figure it out better. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Last edited:

Glen1978

That truck looks suspiciously like an RSMS truck. Can you post pics of the tags inside the drivers door?
What is an RSMS truck? Is that bad? I bought it off eBay from a somewhat local guy....couple hours away. I talked to him on the phone and he was a super nice guy. Was honest about his business....said he owned a trucking company and bought these from time to time. Said soke he made good money on and some not so much (this one). He did say it came outa Texas.

71DeuceAK

Congrats on the new acquisition, fine looking truck! Yeah, the odometer reading is often really nothing, they got swapped all the time, especially if a new engine was put in, I've talked to ex motor pool guys who remember seeing M939s on their FIFTH engine, no joke!

I might be picking up one myself, an '84 M923A0, special to me since it once belonged to the local National Guard unitwhere I grew up, a truck from the same place I'm from! For a 1984 it claims to have 3200 miles on the odometer but it's very possible that's not true. Still a few months out but super excited nevertheless!

98G, maybe you can school me on this, being a NG truck, did it likely come from somewhere else/was deployed to Iraq or Afganistan? Not that it'd make a difference to me, I just wonder what kind of story is likely behind it...any thoughts?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is an RSMS truck? Is that bad? I bought it off eBay from a somewhat local guy....couple hours away. I talked to him on the phone and he was a super nice guy. Was honest about his business....said he owned a trucking company and bought these from time to time. Said soke he made good money on and some not so much (this one). He did say it came outa Texas.
RSMS - "readiness sustainment maintenence site". Full reset, at a cost of $65k per truck.

Glen1978

Cool, thanks for clarification. It did have a few MWO tags he had pictured.....last one in 2010. It came from auction in Texas but not sure where the truck came from originally. I know a few years ago when we lived in E. Texas there were rail cars full of MV around the house.

mcmullag

I have owned 2 of them in the past, if I run into xtra money I might get another one just to look at in the driveway. Hope you have no troubles with the truck, I had no major problems, did have to replace an alternator on one. 009.jpg 012.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!
Truck looks good.
Unless there's hidden problems, you did good on the price.

I highly recommend replacing the alternator as soon as you can.
The original ones are prone to failure and taking out other components with it.
When mine fried, it took the Power Control Box and ABS module with it.
I now have a new Delco-Remy 33si 100A alternator and couldn't be happier.

Hopefully you have have room for more as one MV isn't enough.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tip. Is that alternator a direct bolt on? Best place to get one?
Yes it is.
Cummins makes the correct bracket that bolts right on.
Its a one wire setup.
Very easy install and your battery's will thank you.
Several threads about it.

SS member 74M35A2 is the go to guy for Alternators.
Great prices and very knowledgeable

Glen1978

Yes it is.
Cummins makes the correct bracket that bolts right on.
Its a one wire setup.
Very easy install and your battery's will thank you.
Several threads about it.

SS member 74M35A2 is the go to guy for Alternators.
Great prices and very knowledgeable
Do you have a part number for the alternator bracket??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks