• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bought me my first CUCV

adamrossol01

hey guys! so recently i am now a proud new owner of my first M1009 blazer. She is a Ex-fire truck. i ran the car fax on the truck, and the truck spent its fire services in utah, seeing most of its years of service in KANAB, UT from 2003-until some point in 2008. seemingly found its way up here to manitoba canada. im kinda new to the forum and dont know much however have a very good friend out here that has a M09 also. im just wondering if anyone has any information/tips on how to obtain some history on my m09. would love to do a restoration on the truck and get some decals made of how it looked during its fire service. where do yall think i should start? having trouble uploading a picture of her. will try again later. would love to see some of the ex fire truck pictures!:-D

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
always good to see another CUCV hit the up here , time for the block heater , your winter is almost here, did you have snow yet?

rsh4364

View attachment 587894so here she is! finally able to upload a picture of her
If planning an original resto.Your truck was more than likely painted green originally.After the armed forces were done with them they went to local govt. agencies,and they painted them to suit their needs.By the way that looks like a solid start to a fine truck.Congrats.and welcome.

Last edited:

adamrossol01

Instead if a freeze plug heater why not this one?
http://www.wolverineheater.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=40
I'm not trying to hijack, just trying to help out the OP

i actually installed 2 block heaters! should do the trick. it was just above zero and had her plugged in for about 4hours and the side of the engine block was warm to the touch so it should be more than enough this winter! planning on daily driving her this winter going to and from school. at school i have a parkade which i can plug the truck in so it should be good to roll!

also Eme411 winter is almost here! no snow yet usually we have snow last week in october so not to long away! just hoping to get the belts, rad flush w/ new hoses and the diffs flushed and everything else b4 it gets to cold. i wouldnt mind getting into a circulating collant heater though and a few battery blankets to fit the big gr31's for winter.

adamrossol01

the truck was parked 3 years ago, the individual who sold it to me had no idea what he had i felt bad b.c i paid next to nothing for the truck... more or less scrap metal pricing... it was his daughter ex BF truck, and he had passed away 3yrs ago and it sat since. i picked it up few weeks back, drained all the fuel, put a new wix fuel fliter in it, changed the oil with some rotella and a nice wix filter (as per forum suggestives) checked the glow plugs (pulled all of them and made sure they were in good cond.) disconnected the return line from the IP, and pulled one of the wires off the GP solinoid. put 20L of diesel fuel with some 2stoke oil. and cranked her over intermittantly, until we got some fresh fuel coming from the return line on the IP. than connected everythign back up, and 3 revolutions and she fires right up! im having some problems with the timing advance system it was knocking and high idle for about 5min b4 she kicked down. so i disconnected the t.a. but now shes running smooth nd starts up perfectly! previous owner took care of the truck, which i could thank him and hoping he will know im gonna take good care of the truck for him!

the plan for the truck is to get her running and get it dependable. than this december i want to give her a paint job im gonna paint her red. i found out she was a base queen her life as a military truck. and seen all her service as a fire rescue. in that respect i wanna return her to her "fire service days", paint her red. get some Kenab Utah fire decals stenciled up. get some nice 33's and just driver her! i told myself i wouldnt get into the truck to much... the addiction of the CUCV has hit me hard already... haha:naner:

NovacaineFix

If planning an original resto.Your truck was more than likely painted green originally.After the armed forces were done with them they went to local govt. agencies,and they painted them to suit their needs.By the way that looks like a solid start to a fine truck.Congrats.and welcome.
Ditto.
My 1009 was fleet white when I got it, but after sanding the poo out of it, I found the original CARC was waiting underneath the several layers of white.
20140116_135048.jpg

Good Luck with yours and read the wiki and download the TM's, you'll be glad you did.

rsh4364

i actually installed 2 block heaters! should do the trick. it was just above zero and had her plugged in for about 4hours and the side of the engine block was warm to the touch so it should be more than enough this winter! planning on daily driving her this winter going to and from school. at school i have a parkade which i can plug the truck in so it should be good to roll!

also Eme411 winter is almost here! no snow yet usually we have snow last week in october so not to long away! just hoping to get the belts, rad flush w/ new hoses and the diffs flushed and everything else b4 it gets to cold. i wouldnt mind getting into a circulating collant heater though and a few battery blankets to fit the big gr31's for winter.
I have been looking at Temro 280 0063 battery warmers,80 watts 36" long.Measured my group 31s and they are 40" all around.Temro says only 3 sides of battery needs covered so I think this size would work great.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
all the CDN CUCV's were equipped with the battery warmers, don't forget to oil spray the **** out of it, make sure you open up the tailgate and get lots in there , then spray the entire outside of the gate, need to stop mister salt,

adamrossol01

yeah my truck was originally out of utah. i.e no battery warmers needed lol. however with out cold winters getting down past -50 at the worst of times it can take a real tole on batteries, motors etc... must do everything to prevent the cold from getting right though. yeah my buddy has a good concoction he mixes up for his blazer. he wont tell me whats in it but it creeps and turns the metal black like nobodies business. snow wont even stick to his truck or ice. which is best! will be doing that shortly. just wanna be careful cuz i want the new paint to stick!

rsh4364

If you search rsh4364 on youtube theres some old video of my first one,nothing on second one yet.After posting I went to youtube and watched my old vids,I now really miss the old 1009 and Im more inspired to get it on the road again!Love the newer nicer one too,but that first one has a special place in my heart.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Added a short vid of newer 1009.Underhood of my fuel filter and GP resistor bypass setup.Will get more vid.of entire truck tomorrow,hopefuly.I added another video of 86 1009 today,I don't know how to link so if you want to see it go to youtube search rsh4364 the newest vid is # 20151021113923.It kinda shows whole truck,my solargizer installed and gauge set up.It is really solid.And clean,I don't get greasy working on this one.

Last edited: