• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought new LED Head Lights to put on?

Third From Texas

The heated ones are worth EVERY PENNY if you live where it gets very cold and snows a lot. The unheated ones do not stay warm enough to melt the snow off, so you have to keep getting out and clearing them.
I know, I was just making fun of the cost.

Heated seats, heated lights, heated floors....these things are very strange to an old fart from S. Texas. We didn't have those things in my day (nor a need for them).

But that's still a lot of money for a friggin' headlight.

:)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heated seats, heated lights, heated floors....these things are very strange to an old fart from S. Texas. We didn't have those things in my day (nor a need for them).
I totally agree, and dislike all that stuff. They're "overly complex solutions to simple problems"... wear some gloves if you think you need a heated steering wheel. But the heated headlights are pretty important where it snows/sleets, because incandescent bulbs naturally give off enough heat to stay [mostly] clear, and LEDs do not.

JD4044M

A buddy has a set of real JW Speaker lights on one of his trucks, and Chinese knockoffs on some of his other trucks.

He says the main difference is that the range and reach of the high beams is substantially more on the real ones.

I'm interested in seeing your lexan covers. Be sure to post them up...
Making a Slip in cover for both the Turn Signal and Head Light that is installed thru the Had Light opening and over the Turn Signal Light. Using 1/8" little more flexible I made a Templet and it slips in easy. Going to us a tiny spacer to keep it from touching the LED Head Light surface too. Had to order 8" x 24" Lexan and will cut to fit. My Sheet Metal Shears will trim it to size. Made my Tractor Cab out of this stuff you can beat on it with a sled hammer to! My Front end has been protected by the Expanded Grill I made it has little dents not but not my tractor! Made a full Skid Plate for the bottom too it has saved the parts down there many times. Going to build me one for my truck too for better coverage of the Air Tanks and all the hoses behind and to the right of them! I want it to almost touch the Transfer Case on mine.Snow Blower VPlow (444x365).jpg

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree, and dislike all that stuff. They're "overly complex solutions to simple problems"... wear some gloves if you think you need a heated steering wheel. But the heated headlights are pretty important where it snows/sleets, because incandescent bulbs naturally give off enough heat to stay [mostly] clear, and LEDs do not.
The heated seats at least have entertainment value. You can turn hers on in the dead of summer when the girlfriend isn't looking and see how long it takes her to notice....

JD4044M

This is just a piece of old Plexiglas I had to try a fit for a pattern. Real ones will be cut better. Seems to work like I wanted easy on and off does not touch the LED Headlight. The Lexan will be much clearer and nicer looking. Almost went with a light tinted grey but figured that would get me busted?? DSCF7031.JPGDSCF7033.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is just a piece of old Plexiglas I had to try a fit for a pattern. Real ones will be cut better. Seems to work like I wanted easy on and off does not touch the LED Headlight. The Lexan will be much clearer and nicer looking. Almost went with a light tinted grey but figured that would get me busted?? View attachment 841045View attachment 841046
That is neat!

We have a flatbed cutter - for cutting signs. (Corex, Sentra, Lexan, aluminum and the like). Seems like something like that even with standard glass lights would be a big plus. With all this WooFlu, this material (just the raw material) is at a premium right now. If things get back to normal, it would be an easy job to cut. Don't know the measurements - but one sheet 48x96 would generate a BUNCH of covers!

Especially if I could ask JD4044M to spend the time to trace that shape onto a piece of paper and mail it.

JD4044M

I checked the laws heck they don't like LED Headlights if there to bright. Covers are OK if there not mirror shinny ect. My Lexan covers were meant to just slide in if I was going off road, brush or driving on muddy stuff ect. Takes about 3-5 seconds to install or remove them but they won't come out driving. Some states outlaw the Bar Lights too they have to be covered when on public roads. Washington State is not one of them which is handy!!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just a piece of old Plexiglas I had to try a fit for a pattern. Real ones will be cut better. Seems to work like I wanted easy on and off does not touch the LED Headlight. The Lexan will be much clearer and nicer looking. Almost went with a light tinted grey but figured that would get me busted?? View attachment 841045View attachment 841046
very cool idea ! I wonder does the bulb/lamp get enough air to cool in hot weather or does it matter i have those same bulbs in my truck !

JD4044M

I have not tested the LED Head lights for heat yet but will. The covers were not intended to be on all the time but 99% of the time the truck is used is during daylight hours for me. Still gets dark real late this time of the year. They were for protecting the lights off road and other crappy conditions planned or not really planned. I still need to pull up to my Shop and check the alignment of them.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have not tested the LED Head lights for heat yet but will. The covers were not intended to be on all the time but 99% of the time the truck is used is during daylight hours for me. Still gets dark real late this time of the year. They were for protecting the lights off road and other crappy conditions planned or not really planned. I still need to pull up to my Shop and check the alignment of them.
Interesting on all points and even wonder what happens to the blackout lights when projected onto the Lexan.
That might add a glow or halo on those lights that 99.9% of us will ever actually use?

Still, because we can, I still am excited to try cutting out a few sets.
Remembering that the material is really constrained around here because of the WooFlu and all the trappings of it.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the laws heck they don't like LED Headlights if there to bright. Covers are OK if there not mirror shinny ect. My Lexan covers were meant to just slide in if I was going off road, brush or driving on muddy stuff ect. Takes about 3-5 seconds to install or remove them but they won't come out driving. Some states outlaw the Bar Lights too they have to be covered when on public roads. Washington State is not one of them which is handy!!
Do they slip in without disassembly of the lights ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks