• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bouncing like a ball.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your truck has been sitting in the same spot for a long time your going to have hard spots in them till you drive em around till the caseing gets warm and what simp posted above you should be fine! Unless you have a or more slightly bent or out of round wheels but probably in the tire

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Btw those Goodyear AT2A’s are good tires but notorious for being egg shaped, and are probably atleast 10 years old. What air pressures are you running? And are all matching wear within 5%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick Man

Btw those Goodyear AT2A’s are good tires but notorious for being egg shaped, and are probably atleast 10 years old. What air pressures are you running? And are all matching wear within 5%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will have to check on the pressure, but the tires are new and look the same.
I'll check that this afternoon.
Thanks

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bouncing has been attributed to worn dog bones in the past so it would be good to check those. I would be willing to trade you my stock 11R-20s for your 14R20s straight across!

Seems like no one does it anymore for liability reasons but they used to set up a shaving machine beneath a jacked up tire and spin the tire with the engine like on a dyno to make the od true again.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stick man nice looking truck! I have a M920 that I put HEMTT rims and 1600x20 tires on and the tires were not balanced of course and I limped that truck to a truck tire shop just outside of town and they injected tire weight beads into the tires through the valve stems I think they put 48 ounces of the beads into each tire and when they were done I drove the truck home on the interstate it was wonderful I even got to use 16th gear. Anyway just so you know about this if other suggestions fail!
Karl

peterrrobinson

Hello guys. I am in a bind and am asking for help. I just bought a 1986 M925 that came with 2-piece rims, 2 with 10 - 3/4" studs and 6 with 10 - 5/8" studs (2 spares), and 14.00-20 tires. So I purchased 8 - 16.00R20 Goodyear AT3 tires to change out, only to discover that the beadlocks are too wide. So I did some research and read that the B3040 beadlock is for that tire, so I bought for all the wheels. However when I installed one into one of the 16.00's the wheel would not bolt up. It is just to wide. I measured the width between the flanges of both type of rims and got 10", but the 16.00 tire with the B3040 beadlock mounted measures 11"! There is no way that beadlock with compress as it is steel with rubber edges. I think my wheels are too narrow for those tires. Is there any 2-piece rims that are 11" between the flanges? I would like to find the cheapest solution. Either change wheels or get a beadlock that is 6-1/2" wide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lonnie

Is the truck OK on smooth roads? If so, it may be tire pressure related.
Is your tread touching the ground to the edge of the tire?

If you aren't running with a load, you can likely reduce the pressure substantially.

With 16:00's I run 35-40psi on the rear. Any more & the outer edges of the tread don't even touch the ground.
I found that 5psi more in 1 set also helped to reduce the oscillation due to a slight difference in frequency.
When I had pressure up over 50, hitting a bump in the road would set off a bounce that seemed to last forever.
I could see the tires bouncing in the mirrors. It seemed to alternate between both axles.

Try reducing pressure about 5psi at a time & adjust accordingly until the ride stabilizes.

If you are hauling, put it back up higher & do not do this with the front steer tires.

Superthermal

Hello guys. I am in a bind and am asking for help. I just bought a 1986 M925 that came with 2-piece rims, 2 with 10 - 3/4" studs and 6 with 10 - 5/8" studs (2 spares), and 14.00-20 tires. So I purchased 8 - 16.00R20 Goodyear AT3 tires to change out, only to discover that the beadlocks are too wide. So I did some research and read that the B3040 beadlock is for that tire, so I bought for all the wheels. However when I installed one into one of the 16.00's the wheel would not bolt up. It is just to wide. I measured the width between the flanges of both type of rims and got 10", but the 16.00 tire with the B3040 beadlock mounted measures 11"! There is no way that beadlock with compress as it is steel with rubber edges. I think my wheels are too narrow for those tires. Is there any 2-piece rims that are 11" between the flanges? I would like to find the cheapest solution. Either change wheels or get a beadlock that is 6-1/2" wide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1640475864590.png1640475900320.png
First off great tire choice. Where did you get them from and how much? Are they retreads?
I have no idea as to why the rim/bead-lock combo are not working together as I haven't my own rig yet and am still in the informational stage in learning so I could have easily run into this issue unknowingly. Are either of these your rim or is there another two piece? I dont have a rig yet but have been looking up some different options. All I have run into so far is the mounting face on the HEMTT rims has more offset so the tires are slightly mounted wider on the vehicle so you have less chance to rub when at full turn with the suspension compressed. I wasn't aware that there might be a third style rim so I am very interested in what you have just in case I end up having the same challenge.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much antifreeze are you all adding to 16.00R20s? In the video he mentioned he started with 1 pint (16 oz) and would most likely double it (32 oz) for 14.00-20s, i believe.

A balance bead manufacturer lists 36 oz worth of beads for the 16.00R20 size of tire. Does 36 oz (4.5 cups) of antifreeze seem about right?

Screenshot_20220120-060414_Drive.jpg

Dieselfitter

This thread caught my eye , i have a deuce on 395’s and the bounce really kicks my back and at times the front hops.
i ve known about the anti freeze trick. , but it needs a certain amount of speed to work. (40 mph +)Most my hop is at slow speed 20-30 mph ,so i found ABC beads. They have a different process to create static cling type adhesive to inside of tire . They claim that tire is balanced even down to 10 mph.
found them to be very affordable to try ,$12-15 per tire . Which is very good as i would have paid more if it works.
i have ordered enough to do all 4 tires and will figure out the feeding them into the tire via valve stem. The chart says 16 oz per 395.
they should be here next wk and i ll definitely post results .
if anyone has used this brand of beads , please post your results .

Superthermal

Dieselfitter

About 80 miles with balance beads , they work well . But when you hit a sharp bump the tire bounce starts again but settles down quicker .
so i d say that 75% of bounce and general shaking is cured .
deff worth the 12-$15 per tire to apply.
i built a air hose reservoir to feed the beads through the valve.
it took about 10 mins per tire to get them in.
abc brand beads are what i used .

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to put up some info...

I just weighed my M813A1 on 16.00R20s with 1 passenger in the cab and a full size spare in the bed and my axle weights are:
Front - 10,860 lbs
Mid - 6,500 lbs
Rear - 6,160 lbs

I was surprised to see that the rears were not equally loaded being that they mount to the same trunion with equal length dog bones.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks