• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bows Inquiry

cten

Does anyone know what material that the bows are made out of.

I know that the sides are made from wood, steel, and fiberglass.

What at the tops made out of that go accross side to side?

Pine?, Oak?

I'm assuming oak because of the stress that they would be under.

I need to manufacture some and want to be sure I'm using the correct material.

There are two lots up for auction with GL, but I do not need 800 of them.

I only need (5) to go across and (10) uprights.

Regards,

sprucemt

The ones I sell are oak. New stock. I have seen both oak and maple in issue bows and other componets. Oak is a denser wood and will hold up better than maple.

cten

I have to do some measuring to purchase some wood.

I'll let you know when I'm done doing that and pass along the info.

I know that they are made 1" thick, but forget the width and lenght.

Regards,

da_sgt

Just wondering why you would want to make your bows :confused: Plenty out there for sale. By the time you buy your lumber, size it, finish it, assuming you have all the proper machinery, its not cost effective :eyes: How are you planning to put the "bow" in the bow :confused: Steam, or jig and venneer a layer at a time :rolleyes: Trust me on this one, I manufactured top end products from wood. If a client wanted a sample or prototype, I jigged, made a pair or more, and gave them the bill. It was in the thousands, which they would recoop if they placed a order. Much cheaper to just go buy some NOS or used bows [2cents]

cten

The top part of the bows go for how much? $20.00 each?

I can make them out of oak for under $10.00 each and my time is free to me.

GL has 1200 of them up for auction now, but I do not need that many and can not justify the shipping cost or taking the time to resell the balance.

Suggestions? Vendors?

I only need like (3) as I have all the hardward.

Regards,

MVtrucker

NOS bows $15.00 each plus UPS from 08302. Some are dropside bows, but the lugs do not interfere. Seems that no two arcs are exactly the same, but I do match them as close as I can. I only have a small quantity of these.
UPS is not cheap on over length, unboxed items., so keep this in mind if you want to order some.
Thanks,

hot rod deuce

Alright i got a dumb question. Supose i want to put the camo canopy on my truck but all i got is the truck and box, what do i NEED? i havent even seen a truck up close with one and dont know if i can get by with just the "bows" i asume thats just the bent lat lookin thing at the top and i need horazontal supports too? the ones with the seats or can i skip that?

cten

There is currently an aution on Ebay for a set of bows for under the tarp/canopy.

Item #4532937035 and is currently at $153.00 with less than one day to go.

Every once in a while there is a complete canopy set on Ebay (camo).

You can also purchase these items from suppliers like Saturn Surplus.

I had all the metal brackets and two bows.

I have purchased (4) 1x3" oak to replace (3) of the side bows.

I purchased (3) pieces of poplar to replace (3) of the top pieces of the bows.

The poplar will mold a little easier.

After all it has already proven to snap even with oak if the weight is too much.

Unfortunately every dollar is being looked at that I spend on this truck and I must keep cost down.

There are a couple of autions on GL now for just the top sections of the bows and I'd be interested if someone purchased the lot and wanted to unload the items quickly for discount prices.

Unfortunately I do not need 800 top sections of bow.

I have dwelled on this for quite some time and that is the one thing that I do have no matter how bad I want this truck moving on the road.

Some places wanted $15.00 just for the top piece of wood x (3) that is $45.00 plus shipping.

I have purchased all of my materials that I need for under $30.00 and will make my own for now.

If I run into any problems I have a friend that does finish carpentry that can help me out. He use to own a couple of older trucks before he tied the knot.

Well lets see what happens as I did buy the truck as something for my son/daughter and I to spend time on getting her up and running and to use on Scout/Brownie outtings.

After all, everyone thinks I'm crazy for getting the truck. So why not waste my time making items that I could purchase for a few bucks more.

I guess I'll look at the learning experience for us and consider it priceless like the VISA commercial.

Regards,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks