• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bracket that bolts on to hub

Sintorion

What is the purpose of the bracket that bolts on to the hub? It bolts onto the 4 holes on the hub near the lugs.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can also be used to winch vehicle out of a jam if you know how to bend rebar.

Search is your friend. Topic with almost same title started less than 5 months ago.

Search is awesome

T

Sintorion

Can also be used to winch vehicle out of a jam if you know how to bend rebar.

Search is your friend. Topic with almost same title started less than 5 months ago.

Search is awesome

T
Wow, thanks for the incredible suggestion. If only everyone were as adept as you at searching. You mind providing exact search criteria for people's questions in the future? :roll::roll::roll:

jeffy777

I was told:

The original idea of that was a railroad tie down. When shipping on rail cars they might put them on all four wheels. Then later someone came up to use it as an emergency winch which you should see from TOBASH's response. I was also told that in Reference to MaverickH1, that is was used as part of a platform airlift system(The rear tires were tighten down on the platform) and it would drop out the back of a C-130.

I have seen examples of all of these so I think it is probably all true. An interesting device. :)

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, thanks for the incredible suggestion. If only everyone were as adept as you at searching. You mind providing exact search criteria for people's questions in the future? :roll::roll::roll:
Always awesome to crack wise when people on a site are trying to help. :/

I searched the words "bracket rear hub"

On the first page not even 5 items down I got the following:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?165300-Humvee-Wheel-quot-winch-quot-Self-Recovery.

It even has embedded videos for the more initiated.

I'm sure if I took more than 10 seconds I'd have found the information about rear hub tie down points for railroad shipping.

Just wanted to demonstrate how simple it is to search on this specific topic. Other topics can be more difficult.

T

EDIT - I took the additional 10 seconds.

[EDIT - My point is not to act wise but to demonstrate that this is an older site and many people have asked and answered the same questions previously that you and I are asking now.]

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ing-two-things-aux-cables-Small-tube-on-wheel

Last edited:

Sintorion

Always awesome to crack wise when people on a site are trying to help. :/

I searched the words "bracket rear hub"

On the first page not even 5 items down I got the following:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?165300-Humvee-Wheel-quot-winch-quot-Self-Recovery.

It even has embedded videos for the more initiated.

I'm sure if I took more than 10 seconds I'd have found the information about rear hub tie down points for railroad shipping.

Just wanted to demonstrate how simple it is to search on this specific topic. Other topics can be more difficult.

T

EDIT - I took the additional 10 seconds.

[EDIT - My point is not to act wise but to demonstrate that this is an older site and many people have asked and answered the same questions previously that you and I are asking now.]

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ing-two-things-aux-cables-Small-tube-on-wheel
You are a true genius and an amazing asset to the internet. Thank you for your service. A few more guys like you sitting in your mom's basement could put google out of business. The thankless effort you and your kind do to train the rest of us and give you the opportunity to show off your blazing fast internet speed are the things legends are made of. You have shown us all that we have truly reached the end of the internet and there is no longer any reason to ask a single question because everything has been documented and we now must rely on the special intelligence of your kind to point us in the right direction. Again, thank you for your supernatural powers. :not worthy:

Sintorion

I was told:

The original idea of that was a railroad tie down. When shipping on rail cars they might put them on all four wheels. Then later someone came up to use it as an emergency winch which you should see from TOBASH's response. I was also told that in Reference to MaverickH1, that is was used as part of a platform airlift system(The rear tires were tighten down on the platform) and it would drop out the back of a C-130.

I have seen examples of all of these so I think it is probably all true. An interesting device. :)
Interesting that it doesn't look like it was used as it was designed. I found this diagram and it doesn't show it attached and the pictures I have seen doesn't show it being attached to the platform.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Dropping-Democracy-inline3.jpg

riderdan

Interesting that it doesn't look like it was used as it was designed. I found this diagram and it doesn't show it attached and the pictures I have seen doesn't show it being attached to the platform.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Dropping-Democracy-inline3.jpg
I've seen these things loaded (and extracted) using LAPES multiple times and I've never seen them strapped at the wheels. I don't recall those whatever-they-ares being installed on the humvees I drove in the late 80s/early 90s, and I never saw them in use. But I'm pretty sure they're not for LAPES.

snowtrac nome

I've seen these things loaded (and extracted) using LAPES multiple times and I've never seen them strapped at the wheels. I don't recall those whatever-they-ares being installed on the humvees I drove in the late 80s/early 90s, and I never saw them in use. But I'm pretty sure they're not for LAPES.
they were there I was a private back then working on them. a bumper d ring will fit in to them. I do believe the early 10 series tm's showed them as a tie down point for rail loading.

riderdan

Yeah, quite possible they were there--just the dumb XO's driver never noticed them :) We didn't ever rail load them in Europe, so them being there and my not knowing would make sense

riderdan

By coincidence, I stumbled across the airdrop FM today while looking for something else... humvee-airdrop-rigging.pdf

Since that prompted me to look around again, I also found this video of some humvees getting extracted...
video

I can't guess at the altitude. Thought I'd share since it's pretty cool.

desmodromic

By coincidence, I stumbled across the airdrop FM today while looking for something else... humvee-airdrop-rigging.pdf

I can't guess at the altitude. Thought I'd share since it's pretty cool.
Wait, you mean new info can surface when an "old" topic is discussed anew? :D

Thanks for posting the rigging pdf. I flipped through it and noticed the on page 2-12 how they tape the headlights and turn signals. The USMC hood I picked up for my M966 had the lights taped just like that and I could not figure out why? I sure hope they did not unceremoniously drop my it out of a C130 - at least I hope the parachutes opened properly. :shock:

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 8.29.46 PM.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks