• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brackets for two alternators -- suggestions

coachgeo

My job ends soon (and then try to live on SS eeeek) so after tackling my jeep to make it daily driver and not my alternator-less LMTV... I want to tackle my Alternator Project Twin alternators - one for House/Work batteries and one for start/vehicle lights. BOTH 24v. and a converter for 12v. 140amp per alternator

Why?? 1. cause I got them for a steal of a deal and they are of high caliber (Balmer) 2. I like option to shut off the house one once all bats topped off and run off solar only on that bank. Reduces engine drag. Aiming for with House on solar, can run while driving a HHO system I got from Europe bus project w/out its power draw coming from the engine at all (a downside of HHO)... Make it solar powered only. (will mainly be used to clean combustion/improve engine life. little help up steep grades. Not expecting MPG increase)

So this thread is about brackets to mount two alts on an A0. (twin V belts)... thought is.... one each of the two belts, go to a single alternator . should give a lot of belt wrap this way too... Since these alternators, like on most diesels require two belts....... then still need an additional belt in the mix somehow to get close that, thus thinking one that runs between the two alternators. NOT perfect match... but IMHO should offer close to the same belt drive benefits in twin belt drive of OEM set up. issue with this is.... how to tighten that belt???

Here is one idea as a base to start with for one alternator... but I dont have that CAT mount... but it could be coppied a bit. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...odern-replacement-for-ppd.219505/post-2568629

This one looks as a better base to start with on A0 (modded OEM mount) amd this part of project I could do myself.

NOTE- not including in my examples the one twin atlernator set up (which I cant afford anyway) that presently (or was) being sold cause its appears obvious there is not enough belt wrap to work

Question to members here is what ideas can you throw this way for mounting/bracket making. Looks like Balmar's are J mount/Delco?. I will be adding an AC compressor on opposit side of engine via the Waterloo bracket.

PS-too get the second belt in there between alts... I have found their are three Pulley V belts available.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have an example to share of this in the wild? What about sell one alternator and add an intelligent battery combiner, like we use in yachts to prioritize charging the starter batteries and keep the cabin batteries up second?

coachgeo

Do you have an example to share of this in the wild? What about sell one alternator and add an intelligent battery combiner, like we use in yachts to prioritize charging the starter batteries and keep the cabin batteries up second?
1. Second alternator adds redundancy advantage. 2. able to dedicate one alt. to House/Work battery has advantages when work includes welding. This keeps that draw and charge soundly separate from Start batteries. 3. the House/Work battery bank will be HUGE... 200ah lead with additional 400ah lithium reserve (with appropriate devices to ensure proper charging parameters)

Out in the wild..... cars with two alts, semi common in auto stereo competition/shows. second one dedicated to huge ridiculous amped stereo systems

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCV uses two Delco 28si isolated ground 12v alternators. It works.

There's not much space to work with so the mount will have to be carefully designed to avoid being too close to the cab, etc. I wouldn't start with modding the factory mount since that's not likely going to make efficient use of space to accommodate the upper alternator.

Ronmar

Yea that existing A0 mount takes up quite a bit of space. modifying it to mount a J180 type tabbed alt as seen is a cost effective way to mount a single, But I agree, fitting two in there using that existing mount would probably not work. IME, particularly with power systems, I am a larger fan of KISS than I am of redundancy…

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In looking at in the wild units (though none from the CUCV's) it requires:
1— custom static bracket for both alternators, as @GeneralDisorder alludes to;
2— belt(s) running from each alternator to a tension pulley between the alternators.

With the layout of the front of a 3116 it appears that tension pulley needs to be incorporated onto the custom bracket. This is an interesting puzzle, certainly not KISS—

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep - have to consider how much belt wrap you will get on the pulley. So an idler to increase wrap and power transfer is likely required with two alts.

coachgeo

Yep - have to consider how much belt wrap you will get on the pulley. So an idler to increase wrap and power transfer is likely required with two alts.
one oem belt on each alt will have that belt in same or more wrap, on its alt than, oem does. Tensioning on one alt would be via the typical swing out to tighten configuration. The other alt. can still use the existing idler for tensioning..... mayyyyyyybe, but doubtfull ,.. OEM idler can tension both these alts single belt.

the second belt in my proposal runs directly between the two alts. Alt to Alt.. this is the one I'm Kurbuffled on how create a tensioner of some sort

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one oem belt on each alt will have that belt in same or more wrap, on its alt than, oem does. Tensioning on one alt would be via the typical swing out to tighten configuration. The other alt. can still use the existing idler for tensioning..... mayyyyyyybe, but doubtfull ,.. OEM idler can tension both these alts single belt.

the second belt in my proposal runs directly between the two alts. Alt to Alt.. this is the one I'm Kurbuffled on how create a tensioner of some sort
You don't want to do that.... Having a belt connecting the two alternators that are each driven from the crankshaft pulley on their own belt will be a nightmare of belt length and tensioning problems. The CUCV has a similar problem with it's power steering/#2 alternator belt situation. It could be done but one alternator would have to move in two axis, not in the swing arc of a hinge mount.