• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Braden LU2 on M37

Shawn C

Thinking about winches is a little premature, since I'm still just working through fuel, electrical, and cooling systems, but a Braden LU2 popped up locally for a good price. My truck came originally with a winch, and it still has the PTO installed, but the front bumper was beefed up (completely replaced) and the winch was removed.

I know the LU4 was original for these trucks, but has anyone used an LU2? From what I've read, the LU2 came later (used on the W100, W200, W300, and someone mentioned using one on an M715), and it seems to be a similar design (at least a few shared parts, and I think the same 8,000 pull capacity).

I'll do more research trying to compare specs, but so far I'm not seeing any major incompatibility, especially since I'm already going to need to find/fabricate a new bumper and brackets. I think the PTO shaft on both of these winches are on the same (driver) side, and that was my main initial concern. Hopefully someone else knows more about any issues I might run into.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thinking about winches is a little premature, since I'm still just working through fuel, electrical, and cooling systems, but a Braden LU2 popped up locally for a good price. My truck came originally with a winch, and it still has the PTO installed, but the front bumper was beefed up (completely replaced) and the winch was removed.

I know the LU4 was original for these trucks, but has anyone used an LU2? From what I've read, the LU2 came later (used on the W100, W200, W300, and someone mentioned using one on an M715), and it seems to be a similar design (at least a few shared parts, and I think the same 8,000 pull capacity).

I'll do more research trying to compare specs, but so far I'm not seeing any major incompatibility, especially since I'm already going to need to find/fabricate a new bumper and brackets. I think the PTO shaft on both of these winches are on the same (driver) side, and that was my main initial concern. Hopefully someone else knows more about any issues I might run into.
I am of the opinion that a Braden winch is the right winch. The Braden Winch Company of Broken Arrow Oklahoma provided all the winches for the Dodge WC series of 3/4 Ton 4x4 and 1-1/2 ton 6x6 military trucks during WWII.

In 1983 Braden Winch company was sold to PACCAR Manufacturing Company. It is now part of the PACCAR Winch division of that company and includes brands such as Braden, Carco and Gearmatic.

Couple of pictures are below...

MU2-AD-1-1-scaled.jpg MU2-AD-2-1-scaled.jpg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LU-2 is a 2-ton winch. The LU-4 is a 4-ton, but derated for the M37 to 7,500 lbs.

BTW the MU-2 was a WW2 winch, found on many Dodge WC's.

Shawn C

LU-2 is a 2-ton winch. The LU-4 is a 4-ton, but derated for the M37 to 7,500 lbs.

BTW the MU-2 was a WW2 winch, found on many Dodge WC's.

Thanks for the info. I'm still researching these, but everything I've found so far says they were rated for 8,000 lbs? For example, in this post:

the comment was made:
Re: P.T.O Winch mystery.
Post by JohnB » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:18 am

The LU 2 was the standard winch on the "W" series trucks. One misconception about them is that they were rated for 8,000 lbs. Braden rated the LU 2 for 10,000 lbs; however, Dodge down rated them to 8,000.

I've found parts lists and exploded drawings, but I've not found a full specification yet. If you happen to have anything, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks