• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Braden LU2 U-Joint help!

ianfotheringham

Hey there team.

I'm busy tearing down a 52 m37, some previous owner decided he wanted a winch and stuck on an LU2 it would seem...not the factory LU4....anyway - i need to get it off before i sand blast - i thought the yoke might slide back enough to get it off the worm gear shaft going into the winch, but it isn't looking likely - thinking i have to remove the u-joint in place (?) - I'm not seeing any snap rings, wondering if anyone has any thoughts - heat? vice press it out in place? there's got to be an 'easier' way......

Attachments

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
I could be wrong here, but... If my memory serves me accurately, this style of U-joint has C-clip retainers under a lip around the rim of each end cap, right up against the inside face of each loop of the yokes. Look for C-clips buried in all the crap around the inside of each yoke loop. With how much corrosion and crap is built up on this, it's no wonder you can't see them. Assuming I'm right, of course.

Sort of like this, I think:
U-Joint_C-clip.jpg

ianfotheringham

Hey, I'm pretty sure you were right on the money, but there is so much built up crud in there, and not much of a way to get at it, I think I'll wait till I rent the sandblaster to do everything next week... That should clean it up nicely....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks