• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Braden winch tear down

zak

If I remember right the handle is held on with a roll pin. Ck with ABLinn or Midwest Military or Vermont Commercial Salvage for parts

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,

Spreader bar and alignment plate is available from Tom @ Snake River 4 X 4, VPW and Midwest Military.

You can get the seals at your local Bearing supply house. Whatever you do don't buy NOS Seals, they will leak.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, another usual suspect - er, I mean source... is Vintage Power Wagon.
(Expect receiving some China-made parts, though...)

If you preferred to purchase the seals and bearings locally, I may be able to assist you with dimensions/ brg. numbers.

This excellent write-up has been VERY useful when I rebuilt mine...! (Thanks to the author at ks2krpt@attglobal.net!)

If you are missing the bottom bar - one option is to fab it yourself. The original is made out of aluminum; I would just use mild steel instead. (Dims. attached...)

G.

Attachments

Jim Hunter

Thank you all for your help guys :beer:
I didnt know that NOS seals will leak!
I have clean the handle area but I cant see an pin or something here...

@Gringeltaube thank you for the spreader bar dimensions I will make one.
Also if you can send me more details from the clutch housing to drum seal it will be great.

Rgds,
Jim

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In case you didn't find it already: that handle takes a woodruf key and a small allen hex socket set screw on the opposite side.

I made this chart (below) for what I consider the best options for replacement seals...
The pic shows both clutch hsg.-to-drum seals; the original one, and the replacement #44968, already installed.

The only seal where I would accept using a single lip is the small one, for the shift shaft. A fair amount of synthetic (waterproof!) grease should be used there anyways, put in between seal and washer, prior to assembly. It sure will help protect the shaft against corrosion.

2cents

G.

Attachments

Tuko

did all lu-4's come with the brake? mine does not have one. I dont know if I have a early model but it does not have the "Braden Winch Co" in the semicircle on the right side either, but it does have LU-4 with the corresponding part number on each piece so I do believe its the genuine article. it is on my truck thats a 51. had 3 layers of paint just like the truck too.

Tuko

I will get some. It does have a keyway on the output shaft where the brake would be. Maybe it was deleted?

One big question I have is what do you guys do to keep water from running down into the winch housing via the shift shaft? there was a lot of corrosion on mine and alot of water in the winch housing. I assume from running into the shift shaft. seems like a design flaw. on the moosecreekmaple rebuild site he says his rebuild was because he had a siezed shaft too.

Jim Hunter

Never seen one w/o the Braden Winch logo...
Yes it is missing the brake completely...
You can add it if you want as all parts are available...
But the winch mounts are later units (smaller part#)...

I post your pic here for future reference...

Jim

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Press down what? I can't find what you see would be a problem. It is not a critical area there. Just put some moly grease down inside that cavity, before final assembly, to have as a lube reserve.

BTW, do you still have the original (short) setscrew for the fork?

G.

Jim Hunter

Some slow progress over here...
Thanks to the spreader bar dimensions from Gringeltaube I make some of them from mild steel instead of aluminium...
I work the clutch handle along with some Kroil and now it works fine.
I also make some new housing support bars using the dimensions from an original.
I also bought a tap and clean all the threads...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks