• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bradley Drifting

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the non-hip crowd out there who needs a translation: "drifting" is the new, hip word for: skidding to an uncontrolled stop in order to look cool. Almost always ends up in an accident in the process.

If I were that soldier's commanding officer, I would have him PERSONALLY change the rubber track pads on that Bradley, just to drive home the point that you do NOT skid armored equipment to a stop on a wet surface with other personnel and/or equipment in the immediate area. That cameraman could've been hurt real bad in that skid, not to mention the other Bradley parked 10 feet away.

TacticalTruck

Yea, I only drift the Bulldog in gravel. I did think this guy probably got in trouble 'cause he was dumb enough to video tape it. Lightin' up MadDawg, the dude is putting life on the line, there's probably alot worse things going on.
Jeff

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

jds15151

Well since they mentioned his name I'm sure he heard something about it. Gotta say though that it was quite an impressive job, and I teach these guys about the Bradley! Never done one that well though.

DMgunn

True drifting involves putting the vehicle sideways in a curve (either by e-brake or hp) and trying to maintain CONTROLLED forward motion while keeping the car at the highest angle possible relative to the direction of travel. Just coming to a sideways stop is WAY too easy for these guys. As MadDawg308 stated, it frequently results in accidents, as it is very difficult to do well. A stupid hobby (and now sport even), yes, but one that takes alot of talent, all the same.

Elwenil

For info on the pro sport of drifting in the US, check out www.formulad.com. It started out as a street racing stunt in Japan and has now become a worldwide phenomenon. It truly has to be seen to be believed. These guys will start out side by side, get up some speed and then hit a banked turn and by a method of taping the brake and clutching the car, swing it sideways, passenger side forward, still side by side. They will then have to go around barriers which make them swing the car around so it's driver's side forward and then back again. After the initial run up to speed, the cars are never headed in the direction the nose is pointed until they cross the line. There are also runs made individually sometimes. Think of it as a drag race with turns and you are sideways most of the time. It's not a race to the finish line though since it is a exhibition type sport. Runs are graded by a panel of judges and crowd reaction. You get more points for the angle of your drift. The closer to 90º you get, the better. I have even seen a few go past 90º and still bring it back again. The better show you put on, the more points you get. There are nationally sponsored teams, even manufacturers get involved. I know their is a Pontiac team and naturally Mopar is involved with Samuel Hubinette (The Crazy Swede) and his Mopar sponsored Dodge Viper. It's really something to see and if I ever get the chance to see it live and in person, I'll be there in a heartbeat.

ida34

Sprint cars have been "drifting" for some time before street drifting came on the scene. Old school dirt track guys know what I am talking about.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Bradley Drifting

ida34 said:
Sprint cars have been "drifting" for some time before street drifting came on the scene. Old school dirt track guys know what I am talking about.
If you've never been to a World of Outlaw Sprint race, you've not seen racing. 700HP methanol burning buggies on dirt, WOW! Check the link and watch Wlild Child qualifing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdPrlyJbauo

TheBuggyman

That cameraman would not have gotten hurt maddawg,

He wouldn't have felt a thing! They would have had to clean him up wiyh a stick and a spoon! :twisted:

Awesome vid ,though. What is that, 50 or 60 tons slippin' on in to a parking spot?

pfarber

I'm sure that there is a tactical advantage to be able to do that.... you could mow down a whole clan of haji's without wasing a bullet!

AZDeuce

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were a Bradly commander going into harms way, that's the kid I'd want as my driver! He's innovative, talented, and a little cocky, good ingredients for a warrior.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry to ask this but the video link it blocked can anyone post this to our videos or put in still shots? We are very limited on what we can see due to bandwidth and regulation. I am just glad I can access Steel Soldiers once in a while over here.

mr.travo

Relax.... you can tell he is a good driver. The added reactive armor adds weight to it as well. I was a Bradley driver for almost a year and a half. Once you have been driving it for a while, it handles just like a go cart.

BTW-- Making him change pads on the Brad would constitute as fraud, waste, and abuse. Plus, they are deployed and there are MUCH more important things to worry about. Take it from a vet that has been there for over 27 months. Any time you can get a good laugh it recharges your "motivation batteries" for another month or two. PLUS-- Us Infantry guys are just naturally crazy! :)

SSG Travis Bennett
US Army, Infantry
"Die Trying"

mr.travo

That cameraman would not have gotten hurt maddawg,

He wouldn't have felt a thing! They would have had to clean him up wiyh a stick and a spoon! :twisted:

Awesome vid ,though. What is that, 50 or 60 tons slippin' on in to a parking spot?
In the upper 20's depending on your ammo load and the generation of reactive armor you are running.

Travis

Wild Horse Hans

I also would want him for a driver. I have no use for by the book Army clowns. They always tend to get people killed.
This guy is the one that will take that Bradley at full bore into harms way and get it back out. You can't hit what is not going straight and slow. Combat crews need to be innovative, unpredictable, and willing to take it to the enemy.

Ewa Marine

I look at this as being ONE with the Bradley...if he knows what that thing will react like and can actually controll her in a "uncontrollable" condition he has mad skills with his vehicle and will rock in combat....making his crew more lethal ...

I have drifted in a M901 180 degrees and was going about 30....the first time it was inadverdant...the second time was intentional...it is a great skill for emergencies in turning around fast and bugging out in the minimal amount of time...

It is completel **** on the tracks and really shouldnt be done for ****s and giggles...but is a confidence builder in knowing when your tracks will lose that grip, or how to do the 180 instantly...

Maint wise?
OMG...
LOL..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks