• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake bleed advice

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately a cold front came in and I opted to work on rust.....in the garage!0
Tomorrow I will go to town and get more fluid and give it a shot.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No school like the old school!

Gave up on the cheap vacuum bleeder and the pump sprayer. Neither worked. Got Mrs. Soldier B to pump and hold the brakes. Worked like a champ. Got a lot more of nasty looking fluid out and kept going until it was clean fluid and no bubbles. Can only guess it needed the actual pressure of the master to unclog what ever was clogged. Have bled many brake systems in the past and never had this much trouble.

Perhaps when I work them next time (ss hoses or new hard lines or dual system) the sprayer will work.
Appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

Dipstick

Hell ldmack3......I own a 1952 Dodge B3 myself! I swapped a 302 Ford and a 9" rear end into it years ago. I just finished replacing a bent driver's side rear spring two weeks ago. Onto the body work, exhaust, and new fuel tank next. When I'm not working on the house, yard, and Deuce that is. 0913171240-00.jpg

Dipstick

Interesting that your Deuce uses DOT3. I have DOT5 in Brutus. Unlike DOT3 It's silicone based and doesn't attract water. Therefore, it doesn't cause rust in the presence of air nor does it remove paint. It also feels more viscous (thicker) and bleeds more easily. I love it. I've heard that it may be incompatible with a brake system using DOT3. I'm not sure what you have to do before you convert to it. I need to bleed my brakes too. I made one of those pressure/sprayer bottles with a pressure gauge and cut off valve. I haven't used it yet. Maybe this Spring. Glad to hear you got it done with Mrs. Soldier B!!!:)

Crazyguyla

Interesting that your Deuce uses DOT3. I have DOT5 in Brutus. Unlike DOT3 It's silicone based and doesn't attract water. Therefore, it doesn't cause rust in the presence of air nor does it remove paint. It also feels more viscous (thicker) and bleeds more easily. I love it. I've heard that it may be incompatible with a brake system using DOT3. I'm not sure what you have to do before you convert to it. I need to bleed my brakes too. I made one of those pressure/sprayer bottles with a pressure gauge and cut off valve. I haven't used it yet. Maybe this Spring. Glad to hear you got it done with Mrs. Soldier B!!!:)
There was a TB and I think a write up in PS magazine when the army made the swap from DOT3 to DOT5. If I remember correctly, drain all the Dot 3, flush, then add dot 5.

Dipstick

That sounds like what I've heard Crazyguyla. I always wondered if the changeover would degrade the existing wheel cylinder and master cylinder rubber parts.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hell ldmack3......I own a 1952 Dodge B3 myself! I swapped a 302 Ford and a 9" rear end into it years ago. I just finished replacing a bent driver's side rear spring two weeks ago. Onto the body work, exhaust, and new fuel tank next. When I'm not working on the house, yard, and Deuce that is. View attachment 830391
Cool. I was a jarhead in the 70s and had this truck. Still had the flat head six. Pulled the head once and there was a chuck of head gasket missing between 2 cylinders. Replaced it. Ran just the same! LOL. After I was discharged I drove it back to Texas. Man did it take a while. I've got a polaroid some where I'll scan and post when I find it. Wish I still had it...

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was surprised. Previous owner told me it was DOT 3. He's had it for several years.

Dipstick

Cool. I was a jarhead in the 70s and had this truck. Still had the flat head six. Pulled the head once and there was a chuck of head gasket missing between 2 cylinders. Replaced it. Ran just the same! LOL. After I was discharged I drove it back to Texas. Man did it take a while. I've got a polaroid some where I'll scan and post when I find it. Wish I still had it...
I was Navy '73-'77. The old Dodge flatheads were easy to work on. Mine had several serious cracks in the block. Those engines are almost impossible to find. Hence the Ford swap. A buddy of mine on my ship (USS Coronado LPD-11 an amphib) had already done it, so I knew it was possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks