• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake conundrum

MyAngry85

Having brake issues on my 87 1008. It started with the brake peddal going to the floor with ease only after start up and then fine. I checked for leaks, found brake booster leaking, changed booster, problem continued. Changed master cylinder after finding it leaking from weap hole, used a new Napa master, bench bled per instructions using supplied caps not hose fittings. Bled brakes with one man bleeder. Now peddal loses pressure randomly while driving. Now I decided to bleed with a power bleeder, I'm getting a constant flow of tiny bubbles spaced about an inch or so apart. I bled through mutiple 12 oz. containers of fluid. I then remembered you're supposed to compress the button on the combination valve. I checked the button and it basically seems compressed, I just get a hair of movement. Any thoughts on whats going on here?
Thanks for any comments!

cucvrus

Did you power bleed the entire brake system? Can't really help any further then that. The brakes are not stock and I don't know what all you changed. What do you have for an E brake on this ride?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is likely still air in the fronts. If that doesn't work I would start looking at hoses. The more hose you have, the spongier the brakes feel and subsequenty the more areas of failure you have. Weak hoses can cause the symptoms but I highly suspect it's trapped air.

Last edited:

the skull

Drock

No these speed bleeders have bin around for about 20 years now. I've had them on most my cars and hotrods sense then. They have ah check valve in them so all you do is crack one at ah time open and pump the pedal. It only takes one person and they bleed brakes VERY well. and you don't need special tools , just ah wrench to crack them open.

MyAngry85

Well I've almost got this thing beat. With work, weather, and the holidays, I haven't had much time to tackle the problem. To recap the progress so far; I found the booster leaking and a spongy pedal. Changed booster, still spongy pedal, found mc leaking. Changed mc, used a n mc for a 86 chevy P30 with 4 wheel discs since I did the conversion, still spongy pedel. Then i found my front bleader screws were leaking at the threads. Replaced them with Dorman speed bleeders, don't use dorman, the inner check valve in them are crap, still had to use the one man bleader. Brakes are much better but still a little spongy. No leaks anywhere else, I suspect just needs a little more bleading. I am also going to swap out the combination valve with an adjustable proportioning valve since the combo valve is only meant for the stock disc/drum set up. That's when I'll replace the front bleaders with good speed bleaders and blead the **** outa the system.

Chaski

I had the combo valve blues too. I put in one of the Wilwood 260 11179 valves in my pickup where the combo valve was. I had to lengthen two of the lines and was able to make it work with a little tweaking. Make sure you have a good double flare tool before you tackle the project.