• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake conversion of ibooster from Tesla

als804

hello
these days i am focusing on ibooste which i saw at humvee EV conversion in youtube at first time
have experienced three times of belts breakdown for last 3 years so that power pump was down . after recent happening on highway, this made me leaning toward isolated power brake.
first i bought ibooster generation2 at ebaty without no any consideration and struggled to find out of datasheets.

what i found
- Ibooster Gen2 :
support force : 6200 N ( equivalent to 1394 lb.f )

- vac brake booster ( 10inch with 20mm vac which - bigger than common size ) :
support force : 1666 N ( =~ 375 lb.f )

- GM hydrobooster :
support force : between 3332N ~ 5000 N ( no data found, but many said 2~3 times than VAC )

- Person putting force with moderate effort :
suppor force : about 1920 N ( multiply 72 lb.f foot force by 6 leverage of brake pedal )

vac booster is a lot weaker than another 3 types of input. if you make a lot of efforts on manual input with a foot you can easily make much force than VAC booster.
VAC and ibooster are very good feeling during pedaling brake pedal . hydrobooster is the worst feeling in my opinon
considering these ibooster is the best brake option.

but ibooster Master cylinder bore(26mm) is much smaller than m1008's one (1-5/16 inch ) . so i ordered new master cylinder for m1008
i will get ibooster on my m1008 with stock master cylinder

als804

I would be questioning why the belts keep breaking. I have had belts on for 10 years that work fine. They shouldn't be breaking at all if serviced properly.
OMG my 1alter belt broke 3times for 3 years.
Teared this belt caused breaking another belt.
Actually i don’t know why... maybe 37inch humvee tire...?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hello als804, Is the belt problem on your 1008? Do you have the Hydroboost brake system on the truck now?

The Hydroboost system is the best system GM makes and does a great job unmodified.

Do you drive allot of muddy rutted roads? How is the condition of the power
steering pump bracket. The bracket is prone to cracking and breaking. The pump bracket being broken can deflect the belt over tightening the belt rolling over the edge of the pulley snapping the belt, or the belt is being pinched rubbing on a bad spot on the pulley groove.

Does the pulley on the PS pump turn freely?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OMG my 1alter belt broke 3times for 3 years.
Teared this belt caused breaking another belt.
Actually i don’t know why... maybe 37inch humvee tire...?
I agree that the belts should be lasting for multiple years for sure. It could be alignment like cucvmule mentioned. Are you using a good NEW (not a military antique) belt like nyoffroad suggested? Is it possible that one of the pulleys has a dent in it or a sharp spot on one side that is chewing up your belts?

als804

i found the bolt mounting the bracket for alter1 & P-pump on engine block was loosen a lot. maybe this one has caused braking belts 3 times. anyway i tighten it hard. i will see the result for a year. hah ibooster and stock master cyinder i already ordered will replace it for just fun,,,,,,,,,,,,in future

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i found the bolt mounting the bracket for alter1 & P-pump on engine block was loosen a lot. maybe this one has caused braking belts 3 times. anyway i tighten it hard. i will see the result for a year. hah ibooster and stock master cyinder i already ordered will replace it for just fun,,,,,,,,,,,,in future
Maybe drive it for a week or two or three - then check those bolts again. If they are loose, some (blue) thread lock might solve it. Brake parts cleaner will degrease the bolts and socket they go in to. Thread Lock won't work it the mating surfaces on bolt and what it plugs in aren't super clean...

Did you have a chance to see if the belt pulleys are aligned correctly? Maybe with an old yard stick? You should be able to get the yardstick to touch the left and right of an easy to reach pulley - then push the other end down in front of the harmonic balancer pulley. Does the yardstick on all four spots on the pulley you are checking?

als804

i found some interesting thread. in that some guy said ' industrial belt is rated about 1~2kw and not for high temp surrounding. omg i has always bought industrial belts many times in SOUTH KOR where i -living in and there is no performance option. in america there are some options ,, such as more durable material made....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks