• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake conversion to modern air brakes

grendel

A bit of background. I have a M923A2 that sits around for months on end. I also have a Pete 379 that sits around for the same amount of time.

The M923's brakes always lock up. Like the truck's not moving. Pete always moves.

So, I know what to do to get it moving again...

Anyone swap to a more modern brake design less prone to locking up? Those cams are a very nasty word in my house.

ross165123

MyothersanM1 did a full air brake conversion on his truck, check that thread out has lots of Juicy Information and pics

Srry I would post the link to it but my phone won't let me

grendel

Go to the members list ( under community on the tool bar SS homepage ) click on members then search
MyothersanM1

And then search his posted threads.

Sorry, I meant before I posted this thread.

I found his thread using your information.

Heck, I am already ordering parts using his information.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those cams are a very nasty word in my house.
Did you mean wedges, by chance?

I had to use wedges on the front axle. As of now and to my knowledge, there is no readily available s-cam application for Rockwell top loader steer axles. If something comes about in the future I will upgrade.
I completely rebuilt the fronts and re-lubed with spec grease prior to assembly. There are no spring brakes on the front so the brakes are not fully applied during storage/parked periods.

212sparky

Don't all the M939 series trucks have the wedge full air brake system on them? The front should have the service air brake chambers and the rear should have the maxi cans with the parking brakes built in. Sounds like your wedges in the back cans need adjusted and lubed to keep them from locking up.

grendel

Did you mean wedges, by chance?

I had to use wedges on the front axle. As of now and to my knowledge, there is no readily available s-cam application for Rockwell top loader steer axles. If something comes about in the future I will upgrade.
I completely rebuilt the fronts and re-lubed with spec grease prior to assembly. There are no spring brakes on the front so the brakes are not fully applied during storage/parked periods.
You're correct, wedges.

I may go with disk brakes in the front. Some of the bigger Ford 4wd's have them. THere's a few threads on Pirate where folks have adapted them to Rockwells.

Don't all the M939 series trucks have the wedge full air brake system on them? The front should have the service air brake chambers and the rear should have the maxi cans with the parking brakes built in. Sounds like your wedges in the back cans need adjusted and lubed to keep them from locking up.
No, they need to go away (for me anyway). My Pete sits as long or longer and does not lock up.

JohnnyBM931A2

A bit of background. I have a M923A2 that sits around for months on end. I also have a Pete 379 that sits around for the same amount of time.

The M923's brakes always lock up. Like the truck's not moving. Pete always moves.

Anyone swap to a more modern brake design less prone to locking up? Those cams are a very nasty word in my house.
Sounds like you need to drive it more often.. :) I run mine every few days, and at least back it up and down the driveway every week.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter

nopics

And for me personally, especially of the Pete. Which year? Why is it sitting around, just hobby or no work for it?

grendel

nopics

And for me personally, especially of the Pete. Which year? Why is it sitting around, just hobby or no work for it?
The Pete is a 86, but is now a parts donor for another project now. I am going to put a 58 Diamond <T> cab on a 2013 Pete 386 chassis and use the Sleeper, 425 HP Cat and 13 speed from the Pete 379 on the new amalgamation.

Sadly, the 8.3L out of this truck we're talking about will go into another Diamond <T> and I may put the 230 Cummins I have kicking around into it. Will probably turbo the 230 if it goes in.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Pete is a 86, but is now a parts donor for another project now. I am going to put a 58 Diamond <T> cab on a 2013 Pete 386 chassis and use the Sleeper, 425 HP Cat and 13 speed from the Pete 379 on the new amalgamation.

Sadly, the 8.3L out of this truck we're talking about will go into another Diamond <T> and I may put the 230 Cummins I have kicking around into it. Will probably turbo the 230 if it goes in.
Still would be interesting to see pics of that project. I was in love with the old US trucks looooong before I got my military M51A2 5-ton. If I could have chosen between the M51 or a Pete under similar price I would have gone for the Pete without a second thought. Unfortunately, its easier to get an MV in the Netherlands than a Pete (sorry people, the MVs are a good second best :shrugs:).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks