• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake fluid capacity??

ivbeenrokd

Anyone know how much fluid is needed to completely fill the system if its empty? As in nothing in the MC or any lines. I did a search and only found debate on the fluid types but not the capacity.

thanks,

John

weld88

I just did mine, refilled with dot 5, master cylinder was empty but lines were not. So being that you need to fill the entire system and bleed I would get 2 quarts. My master cylinder alone took just over a quart with the bleeding and all.

Hainebd

Do a flush that will eat 4 quarts. Be sure to let each wheel cylinder empty/bled fast a couple of times to get junk out. Keep bottles sealed till use. Have fun

ivbeenrokd

Thanks for the replies. I've currently got a remote reservoir I added 2 years ago and that is the number mod I would recommend to anyone. I'm doing a 4 door right now and I've ended up replacing all the soft lines as well as all the axle hard lines. I'm not 100% empty but from the airpack out im probably pretty close and I'm getting a yellow colored fluid out of the lines so I'm just going to bleed until I get the newer purple colored coming out just to be safe. I have a quart on hand but that stuff is $30 at napa so I figured if I'm going to need more than that than I might as well order a gallon from someone else.

Thanks,
John

Dnaair

I just did mine, refilled with dot 5, master cylinder was empty but lines were not. So being that you need to fill the entire system and bleed I would get 2 quarts. My master cylinder alone took just over a quart with the bleeding and all.
Hi can you advise me how to bleed each cylinder?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get an assistant to pump the brakes, then go to the furthest rear brake cylinder, and with the assistant holding the brake pedal down after several pumps, open the relief valve just a little. When the stream is steady fluid, close it quickly. Repeat for each of the rear brake cylinders. Then go to the front and do the same. You will probably have to fill the MC several times unless you have a brake bleeding cup to catch the fluid at each cylinder. BUT FIRST, you need to make sure you bleed the MC and the brake booster (air pack) or you will just get air in the lines and have to start over again. Kenny (recovry4x4) built a brake bleeding tool out of a pump sprayer well over a decade ago that plumbs into the MC so you don't need an assistant. I followed his directions and built one also and donated it to the local MV club. They use if frequently.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks You Boss and is bleeding the MC and airpack are the same process of each cylinder?
Bleed the MC by loosening the line at the air pack, and tighten again quickly once it has no bubbles. You will need to have air pressure or the pump sprayer contraption that Kenny described originally to bleed the air pack. Out of the air pack the line splits off to the front and the back at a tee on the frame. Start at the rearmost passsenger axle and work your way forward to the driver front.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And to make life simpler, see if you can find a Lisle Brake Bleeding Kit, part number 19200. it has a cup to catch the brake fluid in and a clear line to see if there are still bubbles. Less cleanup that way!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks