• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Fluid coming out of Vent in engine bay...

merlot566jka

Hey guys!

Long story short, I thought I had a leak and to be overly cautious, I replaced the master cylinder and all of the wheel cylinders. No visible external leaks. Ran a clear piece of hose from master cylinder into the cab and topped it off. Fluid disappears every time I drive still. I've been topping it off as I drive, hoping to find some sort of leak. No external leaks. I flipped my hubs this weekend and checked each wheel cylinder and line... no leaks still. (going on a year with no evidence of a leak)
I read the threads on the vent line from the top of the master cylinder. I removed that vent line a year ago when I installed my "vent hose reservoir".

I recently smelled something funky burning in the engine area, smelled like coolant. I checked it out to find brake fluid that had sprayed out of the vent line all over the air cleaner, valve cover and exhaust manifold.

So I have brake fluid coming out of the air pack relief vent? How is that happening?

More importantly, how do I fix it?

Thanks guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuild or replace your air pack.

63C20

I feel your pain..... I had the same issue, rebuilt the 2 airpacks (AF Truck), did not fully fix the problem, even though I was pretty anal about the rebuild, Ended up buying NOS old style packs, sucked it up and did not look back, Hope they last another 20 years ! Another hint: be sure to replace the copper crush washers on the MC, ask me how I know......

Replacing them up front would have saved a month of down time, lot to be said for convenience.

The Truth only hurts if it should.

Avatar - Four 2nd Lieutenants heading north in the field

Last edited:

scootertrs

Yup bad airpak. It is cheaper to rebuild them but I find new ones last MUCH longer.
Well... 1+ year ago I got a new one... and yesterday I was going for a ride about... only to find a pool of brake fluid under the vent... hmmmm... maybe if I had rebuilt it and done it right, I would not be holding up a Christmas parade because of a bad air pack... I am rebuilding my next one... It's a shame... all new wheel cylinders, shoes, hoses, lines, master, air pack... just so this would not happen... what the heck... I can bitch and cry... but still gonna have to get done... so might as well skip the bitching and crying... and get her done -:)