• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake fluid question

gene

after rear axil repair will be doing total fluid change out, grease job on my M35A2. TM indicates brake fluid with silicone should be used. Most stuff I find does not seem to indicate that it has silicone. Is this an issue? I don't know whats been put in the truck and suspect it was never been cared for properly. any input appreciated

Gene

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
DOT5 is silicone brake fluid, many folks are only familair with conventional DOT3.

acetomatoco

should be a yellow sticker somewhere with USE SILICONE BRAKE FLUID ONLY in large letters...sometimes on dash, door, seat or floor pan cover.. smell and taste the stuff from your car... DOT3 and see if it is the same as what is in your truck... dot 5 will not mix with water etc.. see a hundred previous questions re the same matter... You can buy pints of Dot 5 in most NAPA truck stores..

FreightTrain

Banned
If your doing a full fluid change bumper to bumperetts you will need the following
2-5gallon buckets of 90Wt GL-1 gear oil(not GL-5)
1-5gallon bucket and a 1 gallon jug of 15W40 Rotella T oil
5-7 bottles of Dot 5 Sillycone brake fluid(NOT DOT 5.1 it ain't the same!)
1 primary fuel filter
2 secondary fuel filters
2 oil filters
a tube or two of standard Yellow Grease(or a 5 gallon bucket of GAA)

You may want to search for the write up on how to build a power bleeder for teh brakes using a cheap garden sprayer and some small pipe fittings.Makes bleeding the brakes a 30minute to a hour 2 man job to a 5 minute 1 man job.
Also,you might want to invest in a bucket pump cause it gets old crawling out from under the truck to refill oil bottles while filling all the gear boxes back up.They take a LOT of oil.

jasonjc

GL-5 will work IF it meets the MT-1 (I think its MT-1) or says that it is yellow metal safe. and get a pump for the grear lube it will pay for it's self. And a air powered grease gun is nice too to have.
And look up th L.O. or lube order it tell you where all the lube points are. And the must important thing is the TM's get and read them. We have them here in the down load thing. Start with TM 9-2320-361-10 it's the "owner's manual"