• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Flush and Wheel Cylinder Replacment

Hooty481

Brake have been out on the deuce for a couple months now and just got around to working on them. First time I have worked on the brakes of a deuce in my life time. Seems like a pretty simple system. The reason for working on the brakes is the last couple of times I was driving it on the road I noticed the brake pedal would get a little closer to the floor each time. The last time I just had pulled in my road and it was almost on the floorboard. I made it home no problems but now there is no brakes.

I started by pulling the front drivers side wheel and tire off because i had noticed a little bit of fluid on the inside of the tire. I unbolted the axel cap and pecked on it a little bit with a rubber mallet and it fell off. Then the axel nuts came off pretty easy. I didn't have the 3" axel nut socket so I used a big pair of channel locks. Came off no problem. I checked the bearings and they were in good shape but in need of a repacking. so that is on the to-do list when this all goes back together.

The brake drum comes off really easy and the first thing i notice is my brake pads are brand new. The adjustment cams are all the way in so I'm thinking "well thats good... One less thing" The wheel cylinder looked really good from the out side and really not to dirty. Then I noticed one of the dust caps on the wheel cylinder was off. and there was a little bit of fluid there. I popped the dust cap back on and i opened the bleeder screw. pumped the brakes one time and fluid shot out. I then closed the bleeder screw and pumped the brakes and fluid was coming out of the same side that the dust cover had slipped off. I removed the brake line going to the wheel cylinder. then proceeded to remove the spring that held the brake pads together. I finally got it off and it was kinda tuff. I read earlier and easier way to get the wheel cylinder off with out removing the spring and that is to adjust the brakes all the way out at the top and the wheel cylinder will fit right through them. So i am going to try this on the next 5 sets of brakes.

The wheel cylinder is off and I am taking it apart. The dust covers come off easily. Then the metal rods sticking out the end of the wheel cylinder. The metal cups on the inside was a little difficult but they pushed through.

What I found on the inside of the wheel cylinder was a rusty looking little mess which I was not hoping for. So I stopped work right here. as i could not go any farther. I figured that since this wheel cylinder was in this shape that the rest was more than likely the same.

I order 6 new wheel cylinders from Napa Part number 4419 and they let me have them for 26 each since i was buying 6. I also ordered a 3" 8 sided axel socket for $23.

I am now waiting on the parts to come in and debating on reaplceing the soft rubber lines.

I am going to be flushing the entire system. I am unsure what to use to flush it with. The parts store said to just use brake cleaner. I remember reading where somebody used something else but I cant seem to find the thread that shows it so if anyone would like to enlighten me please do.

I will try to get some pictures of what I have done.

baxter

Nice wright up, I will be doing the same this weekend. I noticed a small drip on my passenger rear cylinder. I will not drive with a leeking brake system.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the size of the bleeder on your new wheel cylinders. I replaced one new one and found out after it was on that the bleeder was metric (Chinese made) so now I have 1 oddball bleeder that takes a different size wrench than all the rest.

You can probably rebuild the old wheel cylinders after honing as long as they bodies aren't pitted too much. The rebuild kits are cheap and not a bad idea to have a couple of spare wheel cylinders in the tool box in case of an emergency.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To flush it, you can just use dot5. If you want to go cheap, flush it with alcohol and follow with pressurized air.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Check the size of the bleeder on your new wheel cylinders. I replaced one new one and found out after it was on that the bleeder was metric (Chinese made) so now I have 1 oddball bleeder that takes a different size wrench than all the rest.

You can probably rebuild the old wheel cylinders after honing as long as they bodies aren't pitted too much. The rebuild kits are cheap and not a bad idea to have a couple of spare wheel cylinders in the tool box in case of an emergency.

I had that happen on one truck I worked on. I swapped the bleeder out form the old one to keep the sizes the same.

Hooty481

I just put in an order for the 2 rubber brake lines for the front axel and the 2 rubber lines for the rear axel. Hopefully they will be here monday.

When i install the front axel cap will black silione be ok or should i go with the gasket?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks