• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake help

LV2XLR8

Hello and thanks in advance for reading and hopefully helping with my issue.
I'm new to the ownership of a deuce and in speaking to another local owner I've discovered that my brakes are not working as they should.
They've been this was since I bought it and I searched the forums but couldn't find the same issue so hopefully you can help.

My brake pedal is extremely hard to push. It does seem to brake well but the effort required is quite high. The other owner I spoke to (thanks Rob) said that they should feel similar to a car in effort. My brake fluid in the resevoir is good. There was a fluid leak on a front cylinder when I bought it (loose fitting). It feels to me like braking in a car when you've lost power assist.

Could it be air in the lines from the loose fitting or would that not affect the feel of the pedal? Airpack? If so, how can I check?

Thank you for your help again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a bad airpack. I would inspect and rebuild every component in your brake system.

AGE|kshaufl

Ditto Doghead!

I might add that if the airpack is sticking it will cause an extremely hard pedal with low braking pressure at the wheels.

If this is the case, I might suggest what I did.

1. Drain the air out of the whole system.
2. Remove the airlines from the airpack.
3. Add a spritz of air-tool oil into each of the holes on the airpack.
4. Hook everything back up.
5. Start the truck, let the air build, and apply the brakes a few times.
6. Shut the truck down.
7. Bleed the air off of the tanks.

If it works, it was gunk in the cylinder body and an alcohol flush of the airpack should be done. Then sparingly add a drop or two of air-tool oil to the same holes and reassemble.

If it does not work you could repeat the process or completely remove and rebuild the airpack.

If it doesn't I would suggest a rebuild.

LV2XLR8

Ditto Doghead!

I might add that if the airpack is sticking it will cause an extremely hard pedal with low braking pressure at the wheels.

If this is the case, I might suggest what I did.

1. Drain the air out of the whole system.
2. Remove the airlines from the airpack.
3. Add a spritz of air-tool oil into each of the holes on the airpack.
4. Hook everything back up.
5. Start the truck, let the air build, and apply the brakes a few times.
6. Shut the truck down.
7. Bleed the air off of the tanks.

If it works, it was gunk in the cylinder body and an alcohol flush of the airpack should be done. Then sparingly add a drop or two of air-tool oil to the same holes and reassemble.

If it does not work you could repeat the process or completely remove and rebuild the airpack.

If it doesn't I would suggest a rebuild.
Thank you both, I'll be trying it!

dozer1

I do agree that it sounds like the airpack not doing its thang. If it does need rebuilding, I also would suggest going the rest of the way and redoing the wheel cyls and master cyl. Why not , these trucks are 40+ years old and most of them would benefit from it if it hasn't been done for a long time.Nothing is more important then a great performing brake system, esp these single circuit ones.
I would add that if you do rebuild it ALL that you could go to much cheaper and plentiful DOT 3-4 fluid. I would not do this unless you rebuild it all. Stick with dot 5 (if that is what it has in it) if you are only going to rebuild a component or 2. Many threads to research this. Best of luck

scoutmanadam

replace everthing in the brake system, none of it is hard to do, just takes some time. also a good time to check wheel bearings if you havnt yet while you have the drums off. remember the first time the pedal goes to the floor, is likely the first time you will load your pants in a vehicle. better safe then sorry

elfkin

I just bought my first duece and it didnt have brakes, so i ordered parts and after fixing a wheel cylinder, I filled and bled the system, my brake pedal only goes down about 3/4 of an inch before I have full on brakes, on one side of the truck..lol and it is hard to push, would this be an airpack problem also?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks