• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake hose dates

bones1

Am replacing front hoses and noticed the dates on the new hoses read 8/84 and the ones on the truck read 11/97. Would you use the new,1984 hoses?. I have some bad nicks in the hoses on the truck now.

scoutmanadam

alot of that would depend on how they were stored, were they riding around in your tool box as roadside spares, or kept in there plastic packaging. still, if they are flexible and you cant see any visible cracks, i would think they would be fine

abh3

Brake hoses last a long time in harsh surroundings so if the NOS ones are bendy with no cracks I'd use them...

bones1

Sam, there is a date marked on brake hoses, mine all had month/day/year onthem, clean them off real good and you will find it. I am pretty sure that is the date of roll of hose manufacture not when they put the ends on. Got all mine changed today, including that front intermediate rubber hose..........boy what a bugger that one was to get to, take that one bolt bracket off first and it will go much smoother.
Tomorrow I will find some springs for the front hose brackets and bleed it.

Last edited:

Welder Sam

Mine reads:
GY-3/16-5013-SAE J1401 ---------P-9 (in white)
MIL-M-13719(or 0)-3/16-10(or Q)34 03129-0Z (in BLUE)

Package label reads:
FSCM 5H671
CUST P/N 7409330
MFR/PN 253-61005-01000M
HOSE ASSY
1 EACH
DLA700-83-C-3813 ITEM0006

Had to open a package to read the #'s on the hose.

Last edited:

bones1

I dunno Sam, all of mine had GY-3/16-5013-SAE J1401 ---------P-9 (in white) or something similar then DD/MM/YR on them, even the 1979 hose on the front.None of mine have MIL on them I believe.

bones1

Some DOT brake hose info..S5.2.1 Each hydraulic brake hose, except hose sold as part of a motor vehicle, shall have at least two clearly identifiable stripes of at least one-sixteenth of an inch in width, placed on opposite sides of the brake hose parallel to its longitudinal axis. One stripe may be interrupted by the information required by S5.2.2, and the other stripe may be interrupted by additional information at the manufacturer's option. However, hydraulic brake hose manufactured for use only in an assembly whose end fittings prevent its installation in a twisted orientation in either side of the vehicle, need not meet the requirements of S5.2.1. S5.2.2 Each hydraulic brake hose shall be labeled, or cut from bulk hose that is labeled, at intervals of not more than 6 inches, measured from the end of one legend to the beginning of the next, in block capital letters and numerals at least one-eighth of an inch high, with the information listed in paragraphs (a) through (e) of this section. The information need not be present on hose that is sold as part of a brake hose assembly or a motor vehicle. (a) The symbol DOT, constituting a certification by the hose manufacturer that the hose conforms to all applicable motor vehicle safety standards. (b) A designation that identifies the manufacturer of the hose, which shall be filed in writing with: Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance, Equipment Division NVS–222, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh St. SW., Washington, DC 20590. The marking may consist of a designation other than block capital letters required by S5.2.2. (c) The month, day, and year, or the month and year, of manufacture, expressed in numerals. For example, 10/1/96 means October 1, 1996. (d) The nominal inside diameter of the hose expressed in inches or fractions of inches, or in millimeters followed by the abbreviation “mm.” (e) Either “HR” to indicate that the hose is regular expansion hydraulic hose or “HL” to indicate that the hose is low expansion hydraulic hose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks