• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Issue M51A2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I finally mustered up the courage to move the M51A2 to my sister in laws house. It's been parked at the VFW for a couple of weeks. Prior to this it was at my church until I got it running. Driving around the parking lot at church it seemed to have a catch in brake pedal travel. I would feel some resistance then the brake would apply fairly hard. Well, today at a stop light, I was applying brakes when the pedal firmed up and rose up a couple of inches. Did a few tests before I left the traffic light. At my next turn while slowing, the pedal did the same thing and it took quite a bit of pedal pressure to slow it down. I know brakes fairly well but I'm more familiar with deuce brakes over a 5 ton. I'm quite certain that I have an air pack issue. I just can't see anything else in the hydraulic side causing this. Oh, air pressure was fairly consistent at around 90 PSI. Does anyone else see anything I'm missing? Hopefully I can find rebuild kits for this

Ajax MD

It's sticking a bit. Mine did this exactly once. It's why you drain the air tanks- to get moisture out of the system.

I can't say if yours is closer to failure.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like what my deuce was doing- air pack backfeeding into the master cylinder. So takes more pedal force to get the fluid to go the right way. Usually a check or port not sealing.

If you want I have a good takeoff m39 air pack I can lend you to swap and see if that fixes it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's sticking a bit. Mine did this exactly once. It's why you drain the air tanks- to get moisture out of the system.

I can't say if yours is closer to failure.
Thanks, I am acutely aware of the need to drain air tanks.

Sounds like what my deuce was doing- air pack backfeeding into the master cylinder. So takes more pedal force to get the fluid to go the right way. Usually a check or port not sealing.

If you want I have a good takeoff m39 air pack I can lend you to swap and see if that fixes it.
I may just open up the can and see how it looks. If not bad, maybe hit it with a dose of air tool oil. If I can't resolve it, I'll likely just rebuild it. I may, however, call on you to bring the air pack to Denton just in case.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I believe that you have an air pack issue. I once had a bad air pack in an M813A1 and you had to literally stand on the pedal to get the truck to stop. This sounds like what is happening to you. Fortunately, aside from the expense for the air pack, it is a fairly easy swap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks