• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake issues....

welldigger

Here is an update on the brakes,

I rebuilt the air pack from an NOS kit, found out i have the A3 short style. I completely drained and leaned out all of the dot 5 from the brake lines. Say what you want but i switched over to dot 3 due to the amount of brake fluid i was consuming in my attempts to find the issues. Still have the same issues with the brakes, Yes my pads have adequate friction material on them, and i ajusted them per the TM.

I am running into the same issue again, with the new MC and the rebuilt air pack.

Dose any one have an exploded view of the new short style air pack?

Thanks,
Kevin
So have you checked your wheel cylinders? Did you bleed in the correct order?

Was your rebuild kit for a short style air pack? The short and long style rebuild kits are NOT interchangeable.

stanky johanson

Yes i have a solid stream of fluid when i bleed the air pack, Wheel cylinders are leak free and working, Belleding order was AP,RR,LR,RM,LM,RF,LF

USed one gallon of fluid to bleed the system.

Yes, I found out the hard way when i bought a kit from a ss member and it was wrong, how ever another ss member in Ohio over nighted me a short style kit.

Jeepsinker, im rather ocd about my PM, and i change fluids atleast twice a year, Thank you for the tip though.

welldigger

When you say you have no brakes you mean? Tell us the specific symptoms. Even things that may not seem like they matter.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I posted while you were.

Have you verified the air pressure going to the air pack?

It can't "assist" w/o pressure.

Edit, so now your brake problem is air pack related only.

stanky johanson

LF,RF? I will have some one look at the soft lines in the am, When i have had soft lines go bad they would swell and hold the pressure.

I drained the air taks and tried the pedal a few mins ago, Pedal gets soft and gos to the floor, pump the pedal three times and i began to get some stoping power, as soon as i let the truck build air the pedal gets rock hard again.

Jeepsinker

There is a 1/8" npt plug on the air cylinder cap. Remove the plug, thread in a nipple, attach a length of hose to it with an air pressure gauge if you have one. Let the truck build air while you are in the cab and then press on the brake pedal and see what the gauge reads. Kind of sounds like you are getting air on the wrong side of the piston though.

stanky johanson

I dont mean mean to sound stupid, but on the short style pack like i have i have not seen a plug any hwere on it. I know there is one on the long style, just not on the short.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks