• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Lever Question

ACO43

Question regarding the two parking brake levers at the front of many of these military trailers, can these levers be flipped so they point down instead of up when they are released or, as an alternative, can they be relocated further up on the tongue of the trailer? I'm going to be working on a camping trailer build on an M116A3 and I want to extend the flatbed about a foot in the front and rear to fit what I'm planning to build. I'd like to retain the brake levers if possible. (I don't have the trailer yet so I can't eyeball the possibilities for myself yet.) Thanks!

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much, if at all is the practical answer, without modification. One consideration though, is the fine adjustment for wear is that little knob at the end of the lever. Brakes that are left on for extended times tend to accumulate rain, etc., that causes rust on the adjustment thread there in the handle, making the fine adjustment inoperable. Unless I need the parking brake on while I'm in need of it holding its immediate position, I park them with the parking brakes off/handles up for long term & block the wheels.